What's new
What's new

Advice on 10ee tumbler gear - what pressure angle?

Mcgyver

Diamond
Hi,

This is the tumbler gear (think that's the right name) out of my '42 round dial 10ee feed gear box. It looks a little chewed up, so I'm thinking of replacing it. Its 16 DP. Does anyone know the PA? I have a gear gauge, its fits 20 degrees well, the gauge fits more deeply that 14.5 and rolls more smoothly....but I'm kind of thinking gears from that era were 14.5. Any experience with the pressure angle on these? For that matter, anyone share the secret way to determine the PA directly? I have a shadow graph - is just a visible comparison with a print out of 20 and 14.5? I've also got a gear tooth vernier but have discovered a chart or formula for using to find PA

The stack of gears is good shape except one, not sure if its worth replacing....what do you guys think? Worth it, or leave it?

Thanks

hej3eEj.jpg

pRiR8FD.jpg

Just for the next guy, these are 20PA gears. Kind of surprising as I think I've read lots of accounts of them being 14.5, but I'm sure these are 20

The stack of gears is good shape except one, not sure if its worth replacing....what do you guys think? Worth it, or leave it?

Well I guess you have two choices, make a new one or tune it up with a Swiss mill. Do note, it must be a "popular" gear to use as it is quite beat. I'd probably be working down the path to make or have a new one made. Dissect it, define it, and have one of the many available gear fabricators duplicate it for ya.

Back