Aloris AXA or BXA tooling for 10 EE? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by peterh5322 View Post
    In this case, cost won out over flexibility, plus I have the additional flexibility of indexing every fifteen degrees, using FOUR faces with "I" holders, using two faces with "non-I" holders, and using two to four faces using a combination of "I" and slightly modified "non-I" holders.
    peterh5322,
    It sounds like you made a good deal but the indexing every 15 degrees has me scratching my head. I have in front of me an Aloris catalogue and all the holders appear to be listed numerically meaning a #1 is a turning holder, #7 is a parting holder, #19 in a knurling tool etc.. I feel the need to be educated if you don't mind elaborating some because unless I'm missing something a BX or BXA post doesn't index and the holders mount solid?
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The BXA-I post has a machined area with slots every 15 degrees. The BXA-I base has matching tongues. The BXA-I base is also available with an "anti-rotation" feature.

A BXA-I system has four operational faces, and may accept two BXA holders or four BXA-I holders. The difference is an obvious 45 degree chamfer taken out of the corners of the "-I" holders. Generic (Shars, CDCO, etcetera) BXA holders may be machined to be similarly dimensioned as Aloris "-I" holders.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With the new XL-style turn-face tool holders, larger tool capacity is available without having to upgrade from an AXA to a BXA.
    I have an AXA on my 1020F Rivett. The 1020F has a 13-1/2" swing, and I believe the AXA came on the lathe from the factory, as the advertising noted Aloris tool posts on the lathes.

I also like the smaller size as it is easier to get into tight places, but AXA and BXA are pretty close in size. I will say that it is at the bottom of the adjustment screw, depending on the size of the tool being used. I also have some XL holders I got on ebay, and replaced the screws on. The larger the HSS blank, the less problems adjusting the tool bit on center, so the XL tool holders are handy. The only time I run into problem is when I try to use a 1/4" bit in an AXA holder. This is not really a problem as I don't use 1/4" tool bits on the 1020F. I do occasionally use 1/4" tool bits on my South Bend 9A, and it also has an AXA. Nice to be able to exchange holders when I want to.

The XL holders I have are labeled "Hess". Coincidence??? I think not...LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"The XL holders I have are labeled "Hess". Coincidence?"

LOL, indeed.

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a BXA set up as well, the AXA is perhaps nice for tight spots but, in general the BXA has more pluses. The AXA seems more at home on 10~11" swing lathes. I have a number of 1" tool holders that are cut down for use in BXA holders. They wouldn't work so well in AXA holders without much more trimming. I have two bigger lathes that use CA tooling, it is nice to have a number of common inserts, shims, screws, ETC.

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"The XL holders I have are labeled "Hess". Coincidence?"

LOL, indeed.

Peter,

Just so you don't think I was pulling your leg...

I replaced all the dog point set screws with new 8mm x 1.25, 20mm long.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hess-holders.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Just so you don't think I was pulling your leg..."

I have a very thick skin, as most in this forum can attest.

The availability of "XL" holders was unknown to me until some weeks ago.

Prior to that, I had been making in-house modifications to non-"XL" holders, on an ad-hoc basis.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckley23 View Post
    I adapted a Royal 5-C handlever collet closer, and made the nosepiece. You can see it in the thread "Bells and Whistles".
    Harry
    Harry,

I will go and look for the Bells and Whistles, working my way through older posts. I am very interested in your collet closer adaptation. I had one that I adapted to a pre-WWII Rivett 1020 that I loved. Still have it, but it got tipped on its front and needs work. I now have a 10EE with a Jacobs rubberflex 5C collet chuck, but don't like it. I have a 5C nosepiece. Your post was from 10 years ago. I'd like more information, so I'm hoping you are still active and willing to assist.

Thanks,

Rick

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kruger View Post
    Harry,

I will go and look for the Bells and Whistles, working my way through older posts.... <SNIP> ...hoping you are still active and willing to assist. Thanks,

Rick

Unfortunately Harry (beckley23) passed away several years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kruger View Post
    I will go and look for the Bells and Whistles, working my way through older posts. I am very interested in your collet closer adaptation. I had one that I adapted to a pre-WWII Rivett 1020 that I loved. Still have it, but it got tipped on its front and needs work. I now have a 10EE with a Jacobs rubberflex 5C collet chuck, but don't like it. I have a 5C nosepiece. Your post was from 10 years ago. I'd like more information, so I'm hoping you are still active and willing to assist.
    What sort of help are you looking for? I've made 5C fixtures for my 10EE and could pass along info if I knew what was desired. Maybe start a new thread with a particular question?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rke[pler View Post
    What sort of help are you looking for? I've made 5C fixtures for my 10EE and could pass along info if I knew what was desired. Maybe start a new thread with a particular question?
    I’m traveling. Can’t fully respond. Will start a new thread in a couple days once I’m home.

Rick