What's new
What's new

...always the last dang thing yado...busted taper attachment bed clamp link rod mount

Vetro

Plastic
Spent most of the day completely tearing down, cleaning, and then reinstalling the taper attachment on my 56 10ee. about to take it for a spin, go to screw the rod that links the bed clamp to the taper track into its little housing on the underside and hear the dreaded sound of cast iron cracking...apparently it is tapered thread that seats into a cast iron little screw on flange bracket with a taper threaded through hole(seems like a weird design choice)and the through hole just burst when i tried(gently) to snug it down.
in a perfect world some heroic soul would sell me a spare and i would be forever grateful...but im rarely that lucky so anyone have a dimensioned drawing by any chance? is the thread 1/8" npt or something? anybody got any good tricks for accurately measuring the distance between the mounting holes and the perpendicularly(is that a word?) oriented threaded hole without being able to use the cast outer surfaces?
thanks yall!
PXL_20201115_002507369.jpg

Spent most of the day completely tearing down, cleaning, and then reinstalling the taper attachment on my 56 10ee. about to take it for a spin, go to screw the rod that links the bed clamp to the taper track into its little housing on the underside and hear the dreaded sound of cast iron cracking...apparently it is tapered thread that seats into a cast iron little screw on flange bracket with a taper threaded through hole(seems like a weird design choice)and the through hole just burst when i tried(gently) to snug it down.
in a perfect world some heroic soul would sell me a spare and i would be forever grateful...but im rarely that lucky so anyone have a dimensioned drawing by any chance? is the thread 1/8" npt or something? anybody got any good tricks for accurately measuring the distance between the mounting holes and the perpendicularly(is that a word?) oriented threaded hole without being able to use the cast outer surfaces?
thanks yall!
View attachment 304668

I did the same thing on my machine, only busted in two pieces though. I was able to weld the parts back together. The thread is 3/8-24.

[/CODE]
ya, may try that too...regular 3/8-24? pretty sure mine is tapered

hit.jpgThese long nuts are made to join threaded rod. Buy the piece of threaded rod that fits the nut and braze the nut to the bracket.

I have not been to the shop too look at the part. I'm guessing the broken nut was on the backside of the horseshoe bracket.

[/CODE]

View attachment 304698These long nuts are made to join threaded rod. Buy the piece of threaded rod that fits the nut and braze the nut to the bracket.

I have not been to the shop too look at the part. I'm guessing the broken nut was on the backside of the horseshoe bracket.

I walked out and looked at mine and see that the piece is still connected to your bracket. Brazing may be the way to go. It looks like a fragile design.

My lathe had a homemade bracket that was not drilled true for the rod. Terrie has them at about $200 each, which was more than I wanted to spend. I did exactly as Mllud mentioned, almost. I bought a 3/8-24 coupling nut from McmAster, machined the threads off the existing bracket, and JB welded the nut to the now flat plate, in place on the lathe. That way the nut was glued on in the exact place that the rod wanted to be.

I don't think your thread is tapered, I think the casting isn't symmetrical to the threads.

Remembered I put a picture up:

Anyone have a 10EE taper attachment off his lathe?

Confirmed 3/8-24. Not tapered. I used silicon bronze welding rod and a tight welder. You have a lathe, make a threaded bung and braze it in place!

thanks all! was able to weld it back together AND find one off a machine getting parted so i have a spare for when my hack welding fails:D

Back