What's new
What's new

“OBSOLETE”/”DISCARDED” – I’m brokenhearted

Cal Haines

Diamond
I finally got around to buying the $75 documentation package for my round-dial 10EE from Monarch. I was particularly interested in the assembly drawings. I called Monarch, spoke to Terrie and she went off in search of the drawings. Sadly, all of the assemblies for my machine come back as “OBSOLETE”/”DISCARDED”. :bawling: I’m not exactly sure how this works, but if I understood her correctly, they have folders for each major assembly number and the ones I need are either empty or otherwise somehow flagged “OBSOLETE”/”DISCARDED”.

At my request, Terrie went trolling for any round-dial assembly drawings. She searched the “dungeon” (the description of it alone made my allergies act up). Apparently there is no obvious system to where the obsolete drawings are filed. She said a lot of them are filed by size, but not in any particular order. There are tubes of drawings that are too faded or tattered to use, etc.. I imagine that there was some sweet old lady who retired in the 60’s who knew “the system”, but now its strictly a hit or miss proposition.

Terrie didn’t think that any drawings were actually discarded, just carted of the “the dungeon” and no longer maintained. She was able to find a few round dial assembly drawings, but there was no way to tell if they were close to those for my 10EE. She is going to send me what she found.
All in all, Terrie went way beyond to call of duty to try and help me.:smitten:

Has anyone seen any round-dial assembly drawings?

Cal

Hi Cal,

You might want to download patent 2381422 from www.pat2pdf.org (free download in PDF format).

It has a very complete set of drawings for the round dial, including sectionals, gear trains, etc.

- Leigh

Havn't seen any drawings but did get to meet Terri in person when I bought parts for my model C. She's 50 ish and is quite a looker for her age ! Just thought some of ya may have wondered !

I had Terrie copy the round dial gearbox drawings for me about 12 yrs ago. It took a couple of weeks but she found them and sent me copies. Unfortunately, I loaned them out and never got the drawings back. But they were available. I rebuilt a round dial gearbox at that time and the drawings were a help.

Dave

You might want to download patent 2381422 from www.pat2pdf.org (free download in PDF format).

It has a very complete set of drawings for the round dial, including sectionals, gear trains, etc.
Wow! :willy_nilly:
That's great. Its gonna take me some time to absorb all of that!

rimcanyon said:
I had Terrie copy the round dial gearbox drawings for me about 12 yrs ago. It took a couple of weeks but she found them and sent me copies. Unfortunately, I loaned them out and never got the drawings back. But they were available. I rebuilt a round dial gearbox at that time and the drawings were a help.

Dave

I think she was able to find part of the gearbox assembly drawings, including the tumbler assembly. Did you have the whole thing?

Cal

Did you have the whole thing?

Hard to say. It showed all of the shafts and gears and bearings, spacers, etc., so it provided the information I needed at the time. The drawing in the owners manual made a lot of sense after seeing the gearbox apart, so I think I used the combination of the two drawings when I was reassembling the gearbox.

"I only see 3 patents that are marked as specific to the 10EE. Are there more in there?"

Roughly in order of patent:

Basic square dial gearbox (later used on the 10EE)

Round dial gearbox

Complete round dial machine (also the basis of the second generation round dial, and all square dial machines)

Constant surface speed system (13EE, Ward-Leonard for armature, thyratrons for field)

WiaD (10EE, thyratrons for armature and field)

EE1000 (six thyratrons for armature, two thyratrons for field, constant surface speed system)

Between all of those, a clear picture of the EE series is given.

"What's the number for that one, please?"

The basic "Timkenized" geared head lathe (Series 61, etcetera), and its square dial gearbox are described in U.S. Pat. 2,374,322.

Essentially, Monarch went back to a somewhat earlier box design for the square dial 10EEs.

Back