What's new
What's new

Thinking Of Selling Awesome 10EE

Doug in Colorado

Aluminum
Thinking Of Selling loaded '71 10EE CSCS ELSR VSR

Hey everybody. Long time no see. Well, since I bought this lathe from Rim Canyon, I have put maybe 10 hours on it. My project partner took a gig in Iraq and left me all dressed up and nowhere to go since he was the one with the contacts.

The lathe is sweet beyond words and loaded with just about everything anyone would want and a few things you didn't know you wanted. Some of you have already seen it and know what I mean.

I don't know what to ask for it yet but will in a few days. It's going to take some time to inventory all the tooling etc. and get some pictures.

If anyone is looking for a great turn key setup, bookmark this thread but please, don't drool on the screen.

Attachments

• icon10.gif
    icon10.gif
    1 KB · Views: 995
I found Dave's description of it from back when I bought it in '06 (has it really been that long?) and can hardly add to his eloquence.

"The 71 has been the subject of a number of articles on the PM site, but in summary, it still has the accuracy of a new lathe (.0002" taper in 2", .0001" spindle runout at 2"), has a 5HP motor, has new C16J's, pot and C3J, all the electronics work as designed, and it looks nice after being carefully prepped and repainted. The features include Constant Surface Cutting Speed (CSCS, very rare), electric leadscrew reverse (ELSR), variable speed reverse (VSR), cross slide dial indicator, saddle dial indicator, travadial, large-ram tailstock, 5HP GE motor, taper attachment, micro-gauging cross slide dial, coolant pump. All the knobs, trim, etc. are in nice condition.

The repair/maintenance that has been performed includes rebuilding the apron lube pump (new check valves), all new felt wipers/seals everywhere on the lathe, going through the electronics, repainting, and disassembly, cleanup & relubrication of nearly every accessible component on the lathe, replacement of the saddle bearing gibs and the taper attachment bearing gibs, etc."

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100732&highlight=cscs&page=1

I have other tooling, beyond what I bought from Dave that I will be including.

I'm going to go try to find his old pictures now. They are around here somewhere.

Hi, Doug,

If its as nice as all that, I want it........I've had some health issues, am getting better, but would rather have a 'turn-key' situation with a really nice EE, than to take the time/energy to tweak with the one I now have.

I keep saying that I really want to get away from machining, but then various and sundry people keep asking me to make up little prototype widgets for them, cos they can't find someone else that will actually get around to doing up their widgets......

Give me an e-mail, if you would, please, [email protected]

cheers

Carla

Hi, Doug,

If its as nice as all that, I want it........I've had some health issues, am getting better, but would rather have a 'turn-key' situation with a really nice EE, than to take the time/energy to tweak with the one I now have.

I keep saying that I really want to get away from machining, but then various and sundry people keep asking me to make up little prototype widgets for them, cos they can't find someone else that will actually get around to doing up their widgets......

Give me an e-mail, if you would, please, [email protected]

cheers

Carla
Glad that you are feeling better. I have sent you an email.

I'm here. Maybe I should buy it back... Except that I'm trying to make room for a Deckel CNC mill that I am buying from Ross. And I have an Autometric boring mill, a Hardinge Mill and a few other items to sell. And my shop is like a postage stamp.

Sold

Well folks it looks like it's sold for $3,500. I'm already starting to shake and go through cold turkey. I'm going to miss it even though I don't really need it.

10EE really for sale?

I'm missing the pictures- any other information on a Monarch 10EE lathe. Is this an inside deal, or is someone really wanting to sell a 10EE?

Sorry Duke, it sold before I could post pictures. I'm still looking for Dave's photos on my hard drive as his are better than mine.

Here's one:

Attachments

• 10EESmall.jpg
    10EESmall.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 868
Yes, it's very well equipped. It was a pleasure to own.

Actually, it was not a new threshold at all. I bought it for a good price and just passed it along. I should leave it to the purchaser to step forward and announce who they are and how much it went for, if they so desire. They deserve the bragging rights or anonymity.

10ee

I've been watching the "for sale" section of this bb for just such a deal, then it gets posted in another area.

If anyone else has a 10EE- I'm interested, have cash, will travel...

Well, I'm the one who spoke for Doug's EE.

He asked me $8500 for it, which is a rather staggeringly high price for one of those, to be sure.

If I understand correctly, he had given Dave $6500 for the machine, and had then put another $2K into more tooling for it, hence the $8500 figure.

Now, the irony is that we've really never needed all that much tooling for any of the EE's we've had, other than the standard 5C collet nose and closer, a good (underline 'good') 4-jaw chuck, a 6-jaw Buck chuck, the original steady rest and taper attachment, and, of course, the Aloris tool post and its collection of toolholders.

I can think of less than, maybe, a dozen times over the last thirty years when we've ever done a faceplate setup on the EE, for example, and, even tho we've the large diameter collet closer noses, it seems that we seldom use them, as its actually quicker to just make up an aluminium nest for a workpiece in a chuck, with half a thou clearance, then tighten the chuck jaws to deflect the nest in by that half thou to clamp the workpiece delicately.

No, the only reason I'd pay that price is for 'condition, condition, and condition', the assurance that that particular EE is still unworn, within the original specs for accuracy.

All the other machines we've ever owned have paid themselves off, generally many times over......this one wouldn't......I'll never amortise that $8500 with the amount of close-tolerance turn work I'm seeing in our future here, but I need that accuracy level for some of the work that I get asked to do.

That $8500 does put a rather serious dent in my 'float' cash, to be sure, but, as I may have mentioned, I'm recovering from some health issues, and would much rather be able to get a 'turn key' or 'ready to go' EE, than to have to invest the time/energy to pull mine down for some work it really should have. The one I have now is a 1966 vintage 'modular' EE, with no bad way wear, but it really should have spindle bearings, and have the apron oiling system done up.

I've been using it for years now, just oiling it like a South Bend, which one really shouldn't have to do. Its been down with an electrical glitch, and, if all goes well, I'll be able to get an electrical engineer friend to diagnose/mend the glitch. I've already put new C16J's in it and a new one of the control tube, whose name I can't remember. I think that large transformer at the back of the machine may have a problem, and was able recently to get an allegedly 'known good' one of those from a '67 vintage EE which was being re-powered with some fancy new system. Presumably, that transformer will be the correct part.....at least I sure hope it is......

If all works out, and I am able to get that EE from Doug, I'll probably be offering quite a bit of the tooling collection here, to recover some of the investment......If I remember correctly from an e-mail, Doug said he'd be sending me photos of the machine and tooling, and an inventory of the tooling items.

Now, one thing occurs to me......transportation of a machine that delicate from Colorado to the S. F. bay area of California is no joke.....worst case, it could be a deal killer.

Doug mentioned having to handle the EE out of its current location with a backhoe, which is a bit frightening. If that machine were local here, and I could simply hand its owner the cash, put some rollers under it, and get it up onto a tilt trailer, no problem.......but......arranging suitable careful transportation is the 'key' to my being able to get this machine......and, for you who are reading this, being able to get quite a bit of EE tooling I'd not be really needing. (I already have all the EE tooling I'd ever really need, and then some......such parts as a steady rest, of course, would have to stay with its original machine)

I'd really appreciate any good advice about shipping this EE......worst case, and I'd really rather not do this, If someone is in the Colorado area and wants the machine as badly as I, and I can't arrange certainly reliable transportation, then it may be prudent for me to offer to step aside and let someone else have the machine.

The thought of a machine like this, if not in the grade of crating originally built to protect it when it originally left the Monarch, being subject to the usual sort of 'freight handling' commonly done these days, is scary indeed.

If this deal can work out alright, then the EE I now have will be up for sale. I'll have its electrical issues sorted and taken care of, so that it will be under power, running as should be, before I formally offer it up.

One alternative does occur to me.....if, for whatever reason, the transportation issue can't be worked out adequately, and its prudent for me to stand aside to let someone in that area have Doug's EE, I'd be very interested, and would pay a top cash price. for a truly excellent EE here in California.

I really don't need features like the electrical spindle stop for threading and constant speed system, all that would concern me is condition as relates to original factory accuracy level.

cheers

Carla

Good deal Carla, I found the same with the good EE I bought. It will not pay for itself on its own, however it has paid for itself in other directions, mainly tooling for my other machines that gives me an edge in a competitive field.
I do have advice on shipping. Do not just send it common carrier. What can happen is, the machine can be transfered to other trucks and thats when it is at risk of damage.
Check with your local trucking outfits, and Doug can check with his. In time you will find a truck that will be in the area that needs something to bring back. The important thing is, that the machine stays on one truck.
You can crate the hell out of one, but if its transfered, it is at the mercy of the fork lift monkeys. My machine had the lower rear cover damaged, and the crate pierced by forks narrowly missing critical components., it was transfered 3 times!
That price seems like a great deal too me, one that works is a plus for sure.
I am sure you will be happy with the machine.

"I do have advice on shipping. Do not just send it common carrier."

On the West Coast, I have used Satellite (Medford, OR).

They can Air-Ride a machine from point of origin to point of destination.

As far as using the backhoe and straps. No worries. It sounds scary but it isn't. I'm insured and wasn't going to just scoop it up. ;-) I can move it far smoother than rolling it onto a tilt bed as the backhoe doesn't move, just the boom. I have 24 feet of reach. I am a very good operator, if I do say so myself. I have worked around fiber-optics cables, buried gas, and underground 7500kv electric lines for years. I can about light a kitchen match with the boom without breaking it. Best part is that there is no charge for me to load it.

Here is a number for someone that I found on Craigslist that might be worth trying. If he doesn't do long distance, he may be able to recommend someone.

"I Move Machines...Mills/Lathe/Grinders And Whatever Else You Need Moved.
I Am Reasonably Priced. I Cost About A Third Of What A Rigging Company Charges.
Please Call For A Quote.
SAFE FAST And RELIABLE.
Please Call (303)777-7553
JOHN"

Well, alright, so be it........

I hate to have to admit to it, but I'm just not in shape yet to be able to do a run from Cali to Colorado to pick up a machine, and it may well have taken a bit of time for me to find the right person to transport that machine safely, and make suitable arrangements.

(the adequately able/careful rigger may well be busy enough that it would take awhile to get it into their schedule, for that matter...I have heard plenty enough of 'horror stories', and have a couple myself, of getting 'Mr Wrong' to rig out delicate machinery)

So, this other person may have it, with my blessings, so to speak. It may well be that they have the work to keep it busy, and really need it more than I would.

On one level, I'm a bit disappointed, to be sure, but on another, this is for the best.

I just don't have the work load available now to amortise this machine, so, even tho I really do need the capability at times, that particular machine may well be a much more practical investment for a much more active shop.

cheers

Carla

Back