What's new
What's new

Another Felt Discussion

texasgeartrain

Titanium
I found a bunch of threads on felts. Opinions seem almost as varied as, "which kind of oil ?" :D

Some of the threads are 10+ years old, so I'm not sure if opinions or experiences have changed. But I guess it's my turn to ask.

I pretty much need to re-felt everything on a Monarch Series 61. The wipers I have removed so far were the laminated sandwich type. No longer available, as I understand it. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned, I've used white felts on South Bend's without issue, though I don't know which grade, seller pre-cut and description says "hard" felt. I've sent them a question to ask about it.

Besides wiper felts, I believe I need felts as filters for oil pumps. According to Harry's "another new toy" thread he used F5 for oil pumps. From what I read, he used 3/16" and thought it may have been too thick, as it was difficult to stuff a locking ring on them. But in working pumps by hand on the bench, they worked. I did not see a follow up. At a guess, I'm thinking 1/8" might be better. The F5 grade, not sure.

Having read up on it in the past, I had planned on F10's for wipers. Re-reading, I'm not sure. It seems each guy has used different things, though I don't know if for a particular reason. Most seem to use F5 or F10, But going back to 2008, I saw Cal had a nice thread using F1's, though I don't if there is reason for F1's over F5 or F10:

Round-dial 10EE way wipers

Checking prices Grainger is cheaper, but McMaster Carr has more detailed descriptions. Looking at their basic chart for specs here:

182.jpg

F1 and F5 fall under "firm". Part of the description I like is "wicking" and "wiping".

183.jpg

Looking at F10, it falls under "soft". Part of description says absorbs oil and grease.

184.jpg

A couple of questions:

1. Which grade for wipers ? Is there a reason, or you tried it and it works ?
2. Which grade for oil pumps ? Is there a reason why that grade?
3. If the retainer is 3/16" in depth, are you using a 3/16" felt, or compressing a 1/4" felt ?
4. How are you cutting it ? Scissors, razor blade, hammer and chisel ? or something else ?
5. At a guess, the softer the grade, the easier it may be to get compressed down on ways to start retainer. But I wonder if if softer or harder would make a difference in collecting or pushing fine chips and debris away.

Edit: Another nice breakdown of different felts here:
SAE Industrial Felt 101: The Basics
– thefeltstore.com

Since stating the thread, I had received a reply from stevewb on ebay, who has sold felt kits for a good number of years for South Bend Lathes. According to him, he calls F1 hard white felt and says it is better for wipers and oil retention.

He calls F5 softer felt, and says it is better for oil flow, which he uses in capillary oilers, such as a South Bend head stock.

Based on his info, that falls in line with Cal using F1 on wipers, and Harry using F5 for oil pumps.

Do you have some pictures and dimensions of the felts you need? I have some laminated Monarch felts for a larger lathe, but I don't know if they are for a 60/61.

So far it looks like 3/16" and 1/4" on wipers. I haven't got them all together yet. Just mentally prepping ahead. I've been working toward landing some big pieces atm.

So far it looks like 3/16" and 1/4" on wipers. I haven't got them all together yet. Just mentally prepping ahead. I've been working toward landing some big pieces atm.

I always thought felt was just a wool product. It looks like it would be easy to get a felt that is actually abrasive.
Ill watch where this goes for future reference. Stevewb and Cal have done some homework.
There is much more to it than just ordering something called felt.
There are so many felt products.

to search
Wickpedia

Felt is a textile material that is produced by matting, condensing and pressing fibers together. Felt can be made of natural fibers such as wool or animal fur, or from synthetic fibers such as petroleum-based acrylic or acrylonitrile or wood pulp-based rayon. Blended fibers are also common.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] Felt has special properties that allow it to be used for a wide variety of purposes. "It is fire-retardant and self-extinguishing; it dampens vibration and absorbs sound; and it can hold large amounts of fluid without feeling wet.

Real wool felt, can be found in old ladies hats, and other goods at the Goodwill, or other second hand stores. Can be laminated to neoprene or other backing with rubber cement, gorilla glue seems to work, with my Axelson project,
being resourceful is survival in remote areas!

F7 for the wipers, mostly due to price. I don't think it's a bad choice, but you could also go a bit stiffer. F5 might be a bit better, but it's considerably more. F3 might be great as well. But certainly no softer than F7. Also, keep in mind I've barely used this so I can't comment on longevity. But a sheet of felt will last a lifetime even if you replace them twice a year and it takes only minutes. If the previous owners would have done that this machine wouldn't be nearly as destroyed.

I got F11 IIRC for the oil reservoirs, and if I did it again, I'd just use the firm stuff. I ended up using some of it anyway for the reservoirs as I felt the F11 would drain too fast. F3 felt cord for where it was supposed to be stuffed in the holes. It tore kind of easily, so tougher stuff would be preferred.

Echoing my own experience from my Sidney thread. F10 is too soft. F7 does wipe clean, even with cast iron and scored ways, but it's probably not the best.

Grainger has good prices as texasgunsmith pointed out in my thread. Considerably better than McMaster.

Back