Another "I Got A 10EE" Thread...With A Twist - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you are going to tig weld, use nickel 99 rods. preheat the part to 400 degrees with a torch or in the oven. I have a bunch of those rods. Contact me if you want me to weld it or you need some rods

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    Since the screw is anchored on the other end there's no axial load on that broken part like there would be on many lathes. I would remove the busted bit and turn the broken end of the stem down then make a new base with a mating stem and loctite the two halves together.
    The dial fit to the big end is right precise, so that wants perfection in alignment or material removed and a ring made or the flange stand-off shimmed.

Too much like work vs turning a new one where all the precise alignment is the usual byproduct of the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what loctite product will glue those pieces together?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lectrician1 View Post
    what loctite product will glue those pieces together?
    Several.

So long as you don't mind an increase in minor diameter of an inch or so to accomodate the bamboo splint reinforcements!

Thinner to wire-wind it like a corn-broom shank, then soft-solder...

Where there is a will, there is always a harder way to monkey-patch than there is to JF make new...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not on about gluing two faces together with a splint Bill. There's nothing hard about turning a step in the shank and a mating feature in the new flange mount. If you can't get the bore and OD suitably concentric then you don;t need any lathe let alone a 10EE.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    I'm not on about gluing two faces together with a splint Bill. There's nothing hard about turning a step in the shank and a mating feature in the new flange mount. If you can't get the bore and OD suitably concentric then you don;t need any lathe let alone a 10EE.
    Better ways to put a lathe to work.

Look again at how little wall thickness in the broken area and adjacent is there even on a part that was never stressed to breaking at all.

Keep in mind that thin wall is CI, not high-alloy steel. Where is this "step" going to get any strength FROM out of material adjacent that was also stressed?

It is a support, not just a spacer, so it DOES have to resist bending as the years and tears of an operator going at the cross-feed accumulate.

I still say it is less WORK and time to just turn a new one, outright.

Simple bobbin or "spool" shape until the smaller and thinner flange is cut-way to form the diamond'ish bolt-up end. "Concentric" built-in to the nature of the operation.

Not even a huge chunk of stock needed. Pleasing to the eye in QPQ black nitride, Or satin-polished Stainless. Or polished Nickel-Aluminium Bronze...

F**ks sake... maybe I should go and break one of mine just to improve the appearance?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good Morning Gents!

Well I spent last night cleaning and pulling the broken accumulating dial from the machine so we could get a really good look at what's busted up. Pictures below.

The good news is that everything else on the machine is in pristine condition apart from the grime and aged paint. Each little cool part reveals some amazing detail and functionality that just blows my mind. No wonder these are so well loved.

Here are the pics, and we do have support equipment (lathes/mills) to fab things, and my son is a budding machinist himself, and can do just about any task on a manual mill/lathe, and I am good at watching and keeping him tanked up on Dr. Pepper.

20190724_144239450_ios.jpg20190724_144250414_ios.jpg20190724_144255713_ios.jpg20190724_144300212_ios.jpg20190724_144310610_ios.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rest of the pics, please let me know if you need a different view, or pictures of a different part. The screw itself is unharmed, and in excellent condition.

20190724_144316025_ios.jpg20190724_144326514_ios.jpg20190724_144353650_ios.jpg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Better ways to put a lathe to work.

Look again at how little wall thickness in the broken area and adjacent is there even on a part that was never stressed to breaking at all.

Keep in mind that thin wall is CI, not high-alloy steel. Where is this "step" going to get any strength FROM out of material adjacent that was also stressed?

It is a support, not just a spacer, so it DOES have to resist bending as the years and tears of an operator going at the cross-feed accumulate.

I still say it is less WORK and time to just turn a new one, outright.

Simple bobbin or "spool" shape until the smaller and thinner flange is cut-way to form the diamond'ish bolt-up end. "Concentric" built-in to the nature of the operation.

Not even a huge chunk of stock needed. Pleasing to the eye in QPQ black nitride, Or satin-polished Stainless. Or polished Nickel-Aluminium Bronze...

F**ks sake... maybe I should go and break one of mine just to improve the appearance?

Don't know exactly what your issue is Bill I just offered one idea for a solution if a replacement couldn't be found. No-one is being forced to use it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you again gents for all the great input. We're going with the "fab" approach, and will build the broken parts up from good stock, and get it installed.

Machine is happy and healthy electrically and mechanically both, and purring like a kitten. Far from perfect, but perfect from afar as they say...

I'll post updates as the build comes together, hopefully by end of next week we'll be making chips.

Happy Friday all!

11. Likes Zap921 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good luck on the fab job, hope everything turns out well for ya!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good Evening All-

Well, it's finally up and running and making chips! We were able to get the accumulating dial fixed up and functioning properly, and now we're in search of a hand wheel to go with it (there wasn't one on the lathe as it was broken off). It's cutting and running amazingly, and our first test cut was within .0001 without any real adjustment, just hooked it up and ran.

We're not going to be keeping it, so I'd be curious as to folks' thoughts on a fair price. We don't want to tinker with it too much more as we're hoping the future owner wants to put a nice finish to their liking on it nor do we want to shame it with a cheap rattle can paint job to try and make it prettier.

Big shout out to lectrician1. Thank you kind sir for walking us through getting all the 'lectrics hooked up, proper fluid changes, and start up procedures. You saved us heartache and costly mistakes. Muchos Gracias!

Anyone looking for one of these near TN, we'd be happy to deliver and hook it up for you.

Thanks all, and we'll keep you posted, and hopefully this'll end up as another "New 10ee to me" thread.

-Tennessee Machine

14. Likes Peter. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i am glad to help out. BTW i sent you a PM

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey PM Team-

I wanted to give a head's up that the 10EE is back to life, the advice from you all really made all the difference, and it's found a new home with someone (10 miles from my house no less) who has been looking for one for years. Thanks especially to lectrician1 for the advice and assistance, I couldn't have knocked it out without it.

Thank you all!

-Tennessee Machine

17. Likes Zap921 liked this post