Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok...quick update. Sent my three tubes off to Monarch for testing. One large tube tested bad. I purchased a good used tube from them. Tubes arrived, installed and...yes, lathe works great. I do have an occasional sticky relay that needs cleaning.
    Thanks for all the responses!

2. Likes rklopp liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quick update...went through the relays and found the AP relay was sticking or making a poor contact. Cleaned all the relays now everything is running well. I've decided to take the time to do a refresh and new paint. This thing was really dirty and sticky! I'm still trying to figure out the collet closer but I'll deal with that after I get things cleaned up and back in service. I'm sure other have found this but the well under the bed was completely filled with some really stinky oil! I didn't see it before as it was covered with a plate. I want to touch on the "cheap import" lathes vs. the old US iron. I have a 14x40 enco with an accurite DRO. It works really well for my needs however, it often aggravates me with the "cheap" feel. I have put a bunch of hours on the 10EE and all I can say is, what a pleasure to use a solid, well executed piece of equipment. Everything just seems so much better even given the age and years of hard use. I seriously doubt my enco will be in the same usable condition as the monarch with similar history. Just my two cents!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to see that you have resisted the normal reaction which is to rip out the original drive and substitute some "modern" one. It is possible to replace it with something that is better, but you had better know what you are doing. Going from something that spins to something that works really right is a real giant step.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Bill. I really wanted to keep it original just because...I really enjoy opening the electronics cabinet to my young machining buddies and showing them what went into a piece of equipment like this so many years ago. I've started full steam ahead on the minor refurb and again, its a pleasure to work on. I was quite tempted to leave the original paint which is underneath a very thick brush coat of some industrial gray but the original paint is pretty rough. Does anybody have a PPG or DuPont paint code for the original color. I'm going with a two part auto finish. I've used that on some other machines and it really holds up great.

Kevin

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ktbceres View Post
    Does anybody have a PPG or DuPont paint code for the original color.
    Among the better places to even FIND the original colour, I suggest under the electrical goods in the small cast-iron-covered compartment at the rear end of the HS "Motor Switch". Pretty rare for an 'industrial' re-paint done during its working years to bother with that area at all, less-yet lift the electricals off the casting.

Retirees, hobbyists, monks, nuns, other 10EE camp-followers and acolytes who strip to bare casting in their adoration are a newer phenomenon.

My 1942 seems to have been a greyish Ivory, similar to Teletype Corporation 'griege' or - mud-guards, was it? - on two-tone Ford tractors of the era and into the 1950's or so.

OTOH, that 10EE was originally shipped TO Ford, September of 1942, so... customer-ordered colour?

On the 1943 10EE, typical machine-tool grey seems to have been utilized.

10EE's manage to still look serious about their Day Jobs in a wide range of colours, so..

'Suit yerself'. You are the only one has to look at it reg'lar-like.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    So I've been using this great lathe for several months. There's been an ongoing issue that I hope someone can guide me through. I searched the forum but have not found anything helpful. What's happening is the lathe seems to only spin up to half speed. Its a 4000 rpm machine. What happens is say I've set the speed for 2000 rpm. I start the machine and it runs at 2000 RPM. I stop the spindle say to change tooling or answer the phone, idling the lathe for maybe 5 to 10 minutes. Turn the spindle back on and the machine will run at full speed or I can turn it down to say 3000 RPM. At some point some relays will click and the speed drops back down to the initial setting. I've replaced all the tubes, speed pots, cleaned all the relays and tested/replaced bad diodes in the module. I've tried to repeat the problem with the door opened so I can see what relays are clicking but I've not been able to catch it. I guess the question is, it the speed I've set actually half the speed and the proper speed is the occasional higher speed? Looking for any advice.

Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have the manual look at page 16 to 17 for the description of the relays I think your problem is in relay 2TR.

screenshot-2019-02-05-12-17-54.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ktbceres View Post
    Hi,
    So I've been using this great lathe for several months. There's been an ongoing issue that I hope someone can guide me through. I searched the forum but have not found anything helpful. What's happening is the lathe seems to only spin up to half speed. Its a 4000 rpm machine. What happens is say I've set the speed for 2000 rpm. I start the machine and it runs at 2000 RPM. I stop the spindle say to change tooling or answer the phone, idling the lathe for maybe 5 to 10 minutes. Turn the spindle back on and the machine will run at full speed or I can turn it down to say 3000 RPM. At some point some relays will click and the speed drops back down to the initial setting. I've replaced all the tubes, speed pots, cleaned all the relays and tested/replaced bad diodes in the module. I've tried to repeat the problem with the door opened so I can see what relays are clicking but I've not been able to catch it. I guess the question is, it the speed I've set actually half the speed and the proper speed is the occasional higher speed? Looking for any advice.

Thanks
    I'm sorry, but I'm unable to make sense of the above. You have the drive set to 2000rpm, take a break and on starting you have to turn it down to 3000 but later the speed returns to 2000? So it's up at 4000 (or so) for a while when you restart the drive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Put a meter on the field and see what it is in the various conditions. It is almost a sure bet that the field supply is changing.

BTW, I am not sure what you have but the timers on the Modular I maintain were junk. New replacements were ridiculously expensive and no doubt would be as unreliable as the originals. I changed them to modern solid state ones for a fraction the cost and that ended that.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry for the ambiguity! So...If I'm running the lathe for a bit at what ever speed (doesn't matter) but for the sake of this discussion...1000rpm. I'm starting and stopping the lathe repeatedly to take measurements etc. When I turn it back on each time, it comes right up to speed..in this case, 1000rpm...just as you would expect. If I leave the spindle off for a few minutes, maybe 5 minutes while I answer the phone or something and come back to the lathe and flip the forward/reverse lever to turn the spindle back on, the lathe will come up to around 2000 rpm...note, I have not touched the speed setting. It might stay at the higher rpm for a few minutes or maybe 30 seconds when i hear a relay click and the speed settles back down to the original setting of 1000rpm. As I mentioned before...I've cleaned all the relays, tried to see which one is clicking to drop the speed down but have not been able to catch it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with labeeman that the field release timer is likely at fault. You can prove the diagnosis by either taking the timer out or by watching the field voltage.