What's new
What's new

Any interested in cast replica parts for EE?

macona

Diamond
This weekend a local patternmaker (Gary Martin) told me he was thinking about making patterns for parts and accessories that are missing or broken for the EE.

Anyone have any ideas? I know I would like a new tailstock lock handle.

His site is here:

http://www.martinmodel.com/

I've made a few indicator brackets (still have a couple) and am planning on making a few carriage stops, might make a few other things. If you do make a run of the tailstock lock levers plan on converting them to ductile iron, I don't think a grey iron would last long. The taper clamps are available from Miller for something like $100.

I've talked to Gary at some shows, he does nice work.

He's interested in doing the tailstock handles. Does anyone have a good one for sale to make a pattern? Mine is busted as well...

He's interested in doing the tailstock handles. Does anyone have a good one for sale to make a pattern? Mine is busted as well...

Drop me a PM with your address, I've got one that'll just need some filler on the center to fill the shaft hole for use as a pattern.

He could make a killing if he had the means to cast headstock end covers. I think I have seen more posts for those missing parts than any other...

-Dave

The lower front, lower back, and tailstock end covers can be made from MDF (medium density fiberboard) or MDO (medium density overlay) using a pattern following bit in a router, with a sample cover as the pattern.

The headstock end covers are exceptionally difficult to duplicate, especially as there are several variants.

The headstock end covers are exceptionally difficult to duplicate, especially as there are several variants.

I think the bulk of 10EEs use one of two styles for the lower headstock covers: the one used by all of the round dials and the square dials with WIAD, and the one used by modulars. Later model lathes probably used a variation of the latter. Its true that the round dial covers are cast iron and the square dial covers are aluminum, but they are the same size.

Where the variation comes in is the upper covers. Round dial lathes used at least three types; Square dial probably the same, but different from the round dial.

I did see a new aluminum unpainted bottom cover that one of the members had bought from Monarch, and was newly cast. I don't know if they are still making runs of those covers.

Regarding square dial covers, one rarely finds the lower cover uncracked. Almost all that I have seen have been cracked and brazed, sometimes in several places. Probably from collisions with forklifts and other plant vehicles.

-Dave

Both my covers have had to be rewelded. Its just a weak design with all the air holes.

I suppose we could get him to do covers. I just dont know how much they would be. I can use my covers as patterns for a round dial I guess. But I dont have access to any square dial stuff.

Tom was mentioning something about a cast aluminum taper attach cover. I have never seen one, what is it? And does anyone want them?

On the tailstock handles I am thinking it might be best to have to ball ends polished and chromed all at once?

Any other parts? Cross slides for a rear tool post? The aluminum knobs? Nameplates?

I think there is a list of suggested replicas in another thread, possibly one of Russ's. Here are a few items, not all of which are casting projects:

indicator bracket mounts for the right side of the carriage (to fit on a dovetail slide, just like the left side). Monarch used to make them. The existing clamshells will fit the bracket.

bodies for taper attachment micrometer adjusters. If the bodies were available, and someone could find the right source for the gears, it would be possible for anyone with the skill to make a reproduction...

light brackets that attach to the rear of the drum switch cavity, like the ones that lathehand made - see his post.

travadial brackets

cast aluminum chip covers for the rear of the cross slide

tool racks for Aloris tool holders, that attach to the rear of the base casting, similar to the Monarch racks (for the Monarch tool post holders), with slots for wrenches, alan wrenches, etc.

replacement fingers for steady rests and follower rests with ball-bearing ends.

Jarno taper adapters

Cross slide dial indicator housings, just the castings with plans showing how to complete the project.

-Dave

I would suggest that if you really needed covers, pretty good replacements could be made using fiberglass. I hate working with the stuff, but for those belt covers with the deep curves, I would guess that you could turn out a set in a long weekend if you had a set to use for patterns. And the cost would be WAY less than casting. If you lined them with engine compartment sound-deadening material they probably wouldn't be too much louder than the originals.
Just a thought.
Steve

The Monarch covers for the T/A are pressed steel, I believe. Not sure as I've only seen photos. Cast AL would work nice. Does anyone here have a set, what are they made from.

My 1940 has cast iron covers for the TA, and the 57 uses pressed steel. I bought a set of the pressed steel covers from Miller Machine, but I haven't seen him selling them lately. The ones he was selling were designed to be installed upside down, so they could not be used as a tray.

-Dave

How about the tail stock barrel clamp handle?

Gill, I have a spare one of those in really nice condition. PM me if you are looking for one. I've fixed a couple of those (by silver-soldering a ball bearing to the handle), they do tend to break.

-Dave

We have a pattern! Going to get these cast out of ductile iron. He is going to send it to the foundry next week I think.

Thinking I should also go ahead and have the ends plated locally. There is still one company that chromes the way it should be done (Most places around here skip the copper because of EPA)

Next is the taper vernier.

Anything else?

IMG_0016.jpg

-Jerry

Back