What's new
What's new

Anyone have a Monarch lathe with the Original glass oil height gauge ? Pre 32 ?

antique lathe

Aluminum
I have a 1927 Model A Monarch. The original glass/brass oil height gauge is missing. {Not to be confused with the more common round sight glass.} So I do not know how much oil should be in the headstock. If I am reading the information I have correctly. I think in 1932 when Monarchs got pressurized oil system. That is when they switched to the round oil sight glass.

The oil level now is 8 1/4" from the top of the head casting. I can buy a old or reproduction height gauge. But I believe Monarch soldered a ring on the brass tube. So if I knew the height. I could make a ring to put on the tube.

Also don't even mention calling Monarch. I talked with Steve at Monarch yesterday. Which was helpful as calling the Ford Dealer. He basically said they do not have much information pre 1950. Which is odd. Because judging by pictures. Many parts look like they were used on many models thru the years. Also I see some members reporting. They have information on their lathes with shipping. I think one was a 1916 if I remember correctly. Do not know when they received this information. But I suspect it was before Steve!

My '16 24" L&S lacks such a gauge. I take off the fill cap and dip stick it with a wood stick in relation to where it stops at an elbow. Much more than my selected level causes oil to run out thru the clutch, which is for sure a way to know what is too much

Back