What's new
What's new

Is anyone setup for through coolant drilling on their 10EE?

rimcanyon

Diamond
I would like to add through coolant drilling to my 10EE, so that I can do some deep hole drilling successfully. I would like to use the coolant pump on the 10EE. Does through coolant drilling require higher pressure coolant than the 10EE pump would produce? If anyone reading this is setup for through coolant drilling on their 10EE, please share the details of your setup.

Dave

I think that directionally, any psi will work.

the machining center coolant-thru setups use hundreds of psi to blast the chips out of there via fluid flow and pressure, as the overall goal is cycle time.

In your manual tool I'm thinking you just need some better heat transfer and lubricity and you can back off the tool to clear chips.

No matter how you go, though, its going to make a big mess, and coolant always finds its ways into places that can't be seen, displaces oil by its specific gravity and eventually corrodes things.

Matt, thanks. I will give it a try. I will not be using a water based coolant, the coolant is a master chem product recommended by Ross that I use on my milling machine. I was running into problems of overheating, despite repeated pull outs and squirting cutting oil and bit resharpening. Had problems even with a carbide tipped drill.

I ordered a MT2 adapter with a Weldon shank, will see if that works.

I made a drill holder for the rear dovetail on the cross slide. Drilled and bored while mounted, set to accept a coolant hole 12”-5/8” cobalt twist drill. I have a 7.5 hp drive motor and dc feed on carriage like Hardinge hlv. I used high pressure cutting oil over shop air. Sharp tool, very low speed high feed through 6” 304 drilled unattended while working on other machines. Does a great job, cheap, easy, good finish and no wandering!

Back