What's new
What's new

Anyone used a Shars D1-3 backplate?

bll230

Hot Rolled
With my 10EE in operation I no longer need my SB 9 and SB 10L, but every now and then the smaller chucks can hold something the larger chuck can't. I have decided to get D1-3 backplates for my SB 9 5 inch chucks to start getting the SB 9 out of the workshop and on to Ebay or CL.

Does anyone have experience with the Shars backplates? Is the taper satisfactory to mate with the spindle nose?

I've bought a lot of different backplates over the years. Most were Asian and the ones not tagged I suspect as well. Shars falls into that group. I've never had issue with the taper on any of them, but you want to make sure to true the face before you mount the chuck. If you want to be double certain, just apply some Prussian blue and tighten it down and then check for a solid pattern. If you're not happy, clean it up and send it back.

Shars are good, but you would be better off finding the right chucks for the 10ee, the extra overhung from the spindle is not a good thing...Phil

As much as I like old American, I would rather have the 1/25.4 pitch than 1/20. Out of my new Bison 6” 3 jaw inside, eBay Cushman 8” 3 jaw outside, Cushman 8” 4 jaw, Monarch faceplate, Sjogren 2J, a couple of the pins gave me the choice of less than 3 o’clock or more than 6 o’clock.

Back