What's new
What's new

Back Gear dis-assembly procedure

dinotom

Aluminum
I am posting this outside my restoration thread so that answers will be readily found by others who may wish to find the same information.

Back Gear Box
Monarch_10EE_Image_BackGears.jpg

I have dis-assembled the back gear box up to this point. Is there a set of steps to dis-assemble the rest of this? As you can see I have loosened all the set screws from the shaft, and removed the two nuts. Obviously the two screws the nuts were attached to, are threaded through the shaft as I can feel the flat head screw head on the other side with my finger. How does this assembly come apart?

Can the whole back gear housing come off the motor end with these items still in place?

Also,

I have begun the bearing replacement and I know the bearing on the top of this image is replaced with a 6209 NR which I have. The bearing on the bottom has no markings on the visible side (The upper bearing had no markings whatsoever on either side). The real question is how does that bottom bearing come off? Is the shaft to be pressed out? It doesn't look to me like it can be as it almost appears to be one piece with the gear. Before I attempt pressing the shaft out I'd like to know if that is the way to go.

Note: I have found an SKF 5210A ZZ C3 rated bearing with the 6209NR. I would assume that somewhere I found that these were the two bearings for the back gear and bought them together?

I have dis-assembled the back gear box up to this point. Is there a set of steps to dis-assemble the rest of this? As you can see I have loosened all the set screws from the shaft, and removed the two nuts. Obviously the two screws the nuts were attached to, are threaded through the shaft as I can feel the flat head screw head on the other side with my finger. How does this assembly come apart?

I don't have one in front of me but I'd try pulling the shaft the shifter arms are on out. That'd free up the arms and everything else would slide out. That's my recollection from 18 years ago anyway.

Can the whole back gear housing come off the motor end with these items still in place?

I recall that it does. Again, 18 years.

Sorry, no help here with the bearings.

They shaft won’t come out unless the two screws that go thru the shaft and had the jam nuts on the end come out first. Can’t see how that’s possible with the heads on the backside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when you're doing it, you think you'll remember forever, not so...cruel time! Something sticks in my mind (dim recollection so don't break anything) that they are taper pins and a wee bit tightening on the nuts will pull them out.

Brilliant !
That was the answer, thank you very much

when you're doing it, you think you'll remember forever, not so...cruel time! Something sticks in my mind (dim recollection so don't break anything) that they are taper pins and a wee bit tightening on the nuts will pull them out.

While you are hot, any idea how this bottom bearing comes off because the shaft does not press out of the gear. I have the top bearing off, its just sitting on the shaft.

Bearing that needs to come off
Monarch_10EE_Image_BackGearBearings-2.jpg

Both bearings
Monarch_10EE_Image_BackGearBearings.jpg

The gear has heat marks around the shaft, someone did something to it which is why I think it won't press out.
Monarch_10EE_Image_BackGearBearings-3.jpg

sorry, just noticed this now. I went back and looked at some photo's, nothing that gave a hint. Probably a bearing separator or else it stayed in the housing when I pressed the shaft out? Can't remember exactly, but if not one else pipes up with a better idea, try a bearing separator

Thanks, I left it alone since it seemed fine and replaced everything else. I didn’t have the right size bearing separator and couldn’t wait for it to come. It’s all reassembled and back in the machine. The pulley is a bit close to the housing and rubbing on the cap head screws, I’m going to have to figure out why that is. Maybe because I used thicker gaskets than normal and used Hylomar Blue on both sides of them?

Back