What's new
What's new

Bad luck day, need WIAD Reliance motor

bll230

Hot Rolled
I had a really bad luck day. I was completing the final wiring on my lathe and was within a day or two of putting it into service and my Reliance motor starts smoking. Just a couple of weeks ago with my slap dash wiring I ran it at 4000 rpm for about 10 minutes and it was very smooth and quiet. I had figured out how to get the ELSR to work as designed with my Parkers and as I was completing all the final wiring configuration it decides to eat itself.

My first thought in disgust was just to eBay out the parts, but after two years of effort, replacing every ball bearing, new spindle, new spindle bearings, finding a late model large ram tailstock that lines up within a few thousandths with my spindle and repainting a good portion of it, I would really like to have functioning 10EE. I have waited two years, I guess I will just wait until a WIAD Reliance or a GE motor shows up on eBay.

Given that you're not using the original WiaD drive, a 3HP motor will probably be just fine, unless you have some unusual needs. There's a guy in Ohio that has eight motors on eBay, with gear boxes, for $500 a pop. The only problem is that they're local pickup only. If you're lucky, at least one of them is a 5HP.

In the future, you should use temporary fuses to protect everything until you're sure that you've got things right.

Cal

Cal, I saw that listing, it looks like they are MG motors. I’ll email him to see if any are the WiaD type. I have high speed digital fuses on the Parkers, the wiring was the same as a couple of weeks ago, the motor just decided to fail.

Bill, I have the 20mh-20a Hammond on the armature. Same one Mark is using. I have the 3 Hp Reliance motor with the spline shaft. At work for two days, I’ll post the data plate when I get back home. I did everything as good as possible, I guess the motor’s time was just up.

I have the S leads. I had them wired in series with the A leads as appropriate. I concluded that since I run in reverse maybe once per year for threading, and that at very low speed, I would wire in the S leads with the A leads for forward running. Then at the very low reverse speeds they would be working backwards, but I haven’t run it backwards so far. The F leads are powered by the Parker 507, the A and S leads powered by the Parker 514c 16 amp version.

Back