Basic Electronics - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"My college text book, Ebay has them as low as $8."

$8 (plus $3.95 for shipping) was for an "ex-Lib" book from England, via Amazon. Also, an older edition.

I prefer older editions as these tend to have more coverage of older system controls, rather than newer, modern controls which may have no relation to the controls in our 50-year-old Monarchs.

2. Likes MARVINGARDENS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"the best electrical text book i have found so far, that properly explains magnetic theory is John Bird, electrical circuit theory and technology"

I ordered the second edition of the above-named text through Amazon, and it arrived today, from the U.K.

It was an ex-Lib (University of Wales College Newport) "discard" and was in good condition although the cover, as expected, was shelf-worn.

All aspects of the electric machines found in 10EEs were well-covered.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    Hi Bob,

There are training courses for military electronics technicians that will teach you everything that you need to know. Here's one:
    NEETS - US Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series

Cal
    This is pretty great. Thank you.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Radio Shack- Archer had a very good book that will get you up and running quickly. It’s called “Getting Started in Electronics” and it was written by Forrest M. Mims, 111. Its Cat # is 276-5003A. It’s the best book on basic electronics that I have seen.
    Best of luck, Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I had reached my own conclusions about electronic ability when I asked one of the best electronic people I know how he handled it, without giving him any coaching. His answer was that you have to lift the circuit out of the diagram or wiring and run it in your head. I had already concluded that the key was visualization because you can't see the electrons running around the wiring. You need to work on that and then learn the exact functions of the various basic components. Most texts stop a layer short, for example describing what a capacitor does but not why. I suspect that often it is because the writer or teacher doesn't really know.

Most junior college or trade school courses are a waste of time. I don't know what it is they are teaching most of the time, but it isn't electronics. I had a technician working here briefly who had a 4 point average in the electronics course at Florissant Valley Junior College. He was unable to hook up a thermostat, simply didn't understand current flow. He was mature enough to leave voluntarily when he saw he wasn't making it, saving me from a very unpleasant task. He was a good person and worker, just a victim of a disfunctional school.

I don't have a book to recommend since my basic training was 65 years ago, but I have seen some good ones on electronic store shelves, Gateway Electronics in the St. Louis area.

Bill
    One of my Boy Scouts a senior and in the National Honors Society could not figure out “If the wind mill blade of a three blade wind mill having blades of 100 feet long makes a full circle in 6 seconds, how fast in miles per hour is the blade tip traveling.”
    That is almost a do in your head problem and still he has not figured it out. So one must wonder what the high schools are teaching.

My grand son had to put pencil to a paper but had it correct in about three minuets.. He is home schooled.