What's new
What's new

Brightening/cleaning crossfeed and compound micrometer dials

focusrsh

Aluminum
The micrometer dials on my 1942 round-dial EE10 have dulled from the bright, shiny finish I jealously see in the original Monarch brochure to a dull, hard-to-read gray. While everything is apart and on the bench, I want to bring them back, if for no other reason than to assist my poor old eyes.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this. Before I try Semi-Chrome or other polishes, in a moment of rare forethought, I thought I'd ask here what other have done.

Thanks,
Carl

You can also fill the engraving with black "wiping lacquer", which is thick paste instead of a liquid. I haven't done it on 10EE dials, so you are own your own as to technique, but I would remove them and scrub them with a bristle brush and soap and water to remove the crud built up over the years. A solvent like perchloroethylene, which is not inflamable might help. Then you wipe the lacquer with a rag or better a silk screen squeege. I have no idea where to get wiping lacquer. I would use screen printing lacquer because I have it. The best shot might be a art store for a tube of paint.

Let us know how it turns out.

Bill

You can also fill the engraving with black "wiping lacquer", which is thick paste instead of a liquid. I haven't done it on 10EE dials, so you are own your own as to technique, but I would remove them and scrub them with a bristle brush and soap and water to remove the crud built up over the years. A solvent like perchloroethylene, which is not inflamable might help. Then you wipe the lacquer with a rag or better a silk screen squeege. I have no idea where to get wiping lacquer. I would use screen printing lacquer because I have it. The best shot might be a art store for a tube of paint.

Let us know how it turns out.

Bill

You can try a lacquer stick: McMaster-Carr I've had some luck with mine in filling the tailstock quill markings.

Back