What's new
What's new

Cam-locks for mounting a chuck?

weez58

Plastic
I don't know what the name is for these parts, but I'll try to describe them. There are three square drive parts that you use to lock the chuck onto the spindle. The square drive on mine are badly worn and I'd like to replace them. Are they available somewhere?

Thanks,
Bob
10EE s/n EE43201

It sounds to me that you're describing the cam and not the cam lock stud. The stud goes in the chuck. The cam goes into the spindle. If that's the case, it may be specific to the lathe. Don't know.

MSC does have the part. They have the spindle post and the spindle cam. The post goes in the chuck and the spindle cam goes in the spindle. Thanks for the help, I wouldn't have thought to look at MSC. I thought they would be a part that was specific to a Monarch.

-Bob

bump for a great thread.
i recently reground my spindle and knew i wanted new cams.
i didn't realize how bad my cams were until i got the new ones from Macit. i replaced the cams, screws, plunger and springs.
the cams now grab and lock solidly between 90*-180* rotation and the indent registers solidly at the full open position.
i also purchased a bunch of cam studs and have been replacing worn out studs on my go-to chucks, face plates, collet nose piece, etc...
and, pricing hasn't changed in the last +10-years...

I assume this is the correct web page: MacIt - Catalog

What did you order? It's not clear from the website what's what. They list a "Cam Screw", a "Cam" and a "Cam Stud", all with the same photo and no descriptions.

Cal

yes, that is the correct web site.
i ordered:
ST55605 #3 CAM for the spindle x3
ST55550 0.249x.566 Detent Plunger x3
ST55505 #3 Detent Screw x3
ST55705 #3 CAM Stud for chucks
Macit does not have the springs so i order these from McMaster-Carr
and cut to correct length with a dremel

Last edited:
the in-spindle cams can last VERY long years even in heavy use, (where a chuck is seldom removed, even if the machine is worked hard..) even 80 years in light use .. and even the on-workholder studs easily 5 to 80 years.

i have no expectation for the longevity of the cams based age, use, etc...
but, mine were pretty trashed as are the cam studs on my 12-15 or so chucks, faceplates, 5C collet nosepiece...
the cost is minimal for the benefit of a properly held chuck in the spindle nose.

I assume this is the correct web page: MacIt - Catalog

What did you order? It's not clear from the website what's what. They list a "Cam Screw", a "Cam" and a "Cam Stud", all with the same photo and no descriptions.

Cal

Agreed, I found the Macit website horrible. If I remember correctly I ordered some Macit parts off of ebay where they had actual pictures of the parts so I knew what I was getting. My cams (I assume OE monarch parts) and cam studs were good. I was mostly after the detent parts. I sourced fillister head screws on ebay (and cut the OD of the head slightly to fit), I sourced the actual Macit detents on ebay, and the springs at the local hardware store. If anyone needs some random spindle parts hit me up, I have screws, detents, and maybe some springs IIRC.

So here it be, published for humanity.

I showed up in the local hardware store with a caliper (they always look at me weird), but it is the BEST hardware store I've ever experienced....Frank's Hardware and spent some time with the spring assortment and came up with what is in the attached photo. All the specs should be there. Along side of the new ones is (what I presume to be) an original detent spring. Visually and by measurements very close to the original. Functionally the springs are working great to this point. Also included are the deets on the screws. Like I said I machined the OD of the heads slightly to match the original(one OE also pictured). The height of the heads of my replacements were slightly taller, but that didn't turn out to be an issue. All parts in the photos are up forsale for those that need them.

Cam Lock Parts (2).jpg

Cam Lock Parts (1).jpg

Like I said, Frank's is the most awesome hardware store I've been blessed to be able to deposit my money in. Maybe they have the Century spring market wrapped up?

Back