What's new
What's new

Can anyone identify this 10EE accessory?

Yettie

Plastic
Hi Monarch forum...

I'm new to this site (new to the whole 'forum' thing actually)... I sell vintage machinery parts (mainly lathe parts) and end mills etc. on Ebay (user name: Yettiebag)... I recently acquired two 10EE's, both in good shape but missing a few minor drive parts... The owner was going to take the best one and rebuild it (although they both looked good to me) using parts from the other one but life cropped up and he could not finish the project so I got them and I just started parting them out... ... One is 1957(serial #41377)and the other was 1950 I think (serial #EE32370)... Both look like regular a 10EE as far as equipment goes but the second one (EE32370) came with an accessory I don't recognize and can't find any real info on... I've seen something similar (collet closer type) on a 'Capstan' model 10EE on the Lathes.uk site but it not quite the same as this... This replaces the rear top cover with a cast iron middle cover and a top iron housing/bearing that is driven by the spindle at the rear... The part #'s are EE3451 & EE3452... Any info would be appreciated (I don't have a full 10EE parts list I'm afraid)... I'm going to try to include some pictures here (not sure how to do that yet)... Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3884.jpg
    IMG_3884.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3877.jpg
    IMG_3877.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3875.jpg
    IMG_3875.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 122
I think that's the upper headstock cover for an older round dial with a lever arm collet closer, but the end outboard of the spindle looks different as there's normally just a mount for the lever arm. Never saw that before.

My '57 WiaD has the same headstock cover. It was fitted at the factory with an air collet closer and a bed turret. The air closer disappeared a long time ago and the end of the spindle looked like it had been sawed off with a hacksaw and a Monarch lever closer was installed - just not very well. I now use a handwheel closer and BTW I do have some of the lever closer parts if anyone is interested.
Carl

Back