What's new
What's new

Chuck wrench rack 10EE

sbh10

Aluminum
I'm considering making an out of the way, convenient place for the chuck wrench. Before I get too in to it, wondering what others have done. My idea would be to place it on the slanted part of the chip tray, below and in line with the chuck, maybe use magnets. Right in reach of my left hand, use it and slip it right back in. Has anybody a solution for this problem?
Ron

Title should be 10 ee, couldn't edit it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to make a splashguard and hang mine on there. That's where I keep my current one and I have made it a habit to cast my eye onto it before hitting the go button.

You could do what I do and set it on top of the headstock, nested against the fill cap. Generally stays in place. Or, you could make a tray that sits on top of the headstock.
Harry

I mount my chuck wrench holsters-piece of pipe, at or on the go switch as a last chance reminder.
Mike

Chuck wrench rack 10 eye

I believe my lathe had at one time a holder mounted to the headstock cover. I think it was screwed in with brass screws that were later cutoff and filed smooth. It looks like a really good location except that it did chip off paint below it. I would do either there or behind mounted to the flat on the back side of the headstock.

Since I have that wrench, and three others for the chucks I have, I didn't want them in my new tray above the headstock. I welded me up a bracket and mounted it to the bottom of the cabinet directly behind the lathe above the headstock. My splash guard is too far away to reach over the headstock and I didn't want to be reaching over the lathe where I may be working.

Magnets are just going to be a mess if they're in the chip pan. I don't think I'd do that. How about bending up a bracket and hanging it over the edge of the pan?

If you have an ELSR there is a built in location next to the headstock between the control rod and the lathe base, I keys all three there.

Chuck wrench stowage.

If you have an ELSR there is a built in location next to the headstock between the control rod and the lathe base, I keys all three there.

A picture here would be nice, so my brain doesn't have to work so hard.

Thanks in advance!

Stan

Well, after all my head scratching and the few suggestions, my simple solution is to adhere 3 neodymium magnets to the chip tray. These are on the outside of the tray, unlike what some must have thought. They are just below the top of the tray and above the knock out bar. Slanting away and out of the way. I have my 3 jaw chuck key and two 4 jaw keys there. They just slide off when I pull them and stick right back on when I'm finished. Used cyanoacrylate (crazy glue), not the heavy retaining type adhesive, and if I ever need to remove the magnets they should knock right off. Try it, it's simple and works for the 10 ee.
Regards,
Ron

Here is my take. Its a dental tray and works quite well.
IMG_0024.jpg

not to sound like a troll but.......... I don't have a 10EE (wish I did), I have a SB 10R, and I just toss my chuck key into the far end of the chip tray........

I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple :D

Frank

not to sound like a troll but.......... I don't have a 10EE (wish I did), I have a SB 10R, and I just toss my chuck key into the far end of the chip tray........

I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple :D

In my case it's not the chuck key but instead the key for the D1-3 spindle nose. That and the 3/8 square and 9/16 open end wrench (seen on the tail of the lathe) are best kept handy for work.

Chuck keys I misplace on any handy horizontal surface like most everyone else.

(Willie - don't worry, that photo was taken after finishing the cabinet and cleaning the lathe several year ago. Now the tray is full-o-chips and there's a few more dings in the paint after a fair amount of work has been done on it.)

A bit of tube that the handle slides in with a switch wired into the E-stop. Mount it on the headstock below the chuck. Won't let anyone forget and leave the key in the chuck. OSHA would love it.
Regards

I'm surprised nobody posted a picture like this one, my usual camlock wrench hanging spot:

IMG_0420.jpg
But here is my latest wrench rack, and its an original round dial part :cool:

IMG_0421.jpgIMG_0422.jpgIMG_0423.jpg

What prompted my dredging up this old thread is that I am looking for photos of tool trays. Trying to decide between a round tray mounted on the DRO column, or something rectangular.

Back