What's new
What's new

CK12 Monarch lathe

John1958

Plastic
I was curious if anyone has a diagram or photo of the saddle oil lines on a CK12 Monarch Lathe. My dad is trying to repair one and is having issues with figuring out how they all run. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As a fellow 12CK owner I don't recall seeing that info before. If it exists anywhere its probably in one of the late Harry Bloom's posts. Harry posted a great deal of Monarch info. He also published a series of articles in Home Shop Machinist magazine around 2004 on rebuilding a 12CK.

Mike

I was curious if anyone has a diagram or photo of the saddle oil lines on a CK12 Monarch Lathe. My dad is trying to repair one and is having issues with figuring out how they all run. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I cleaned mine out not too long ago but unfortunately don't have anything illustrative. I've since put it all back together. Maybe you can post some pictures of the underside of the saddle from your Dad's lathe and that will jog the memory? Possibly others will have ideas given a picture or two. Eventually I'll pull the saddle off mine again to moglice it to better fit the ways, but several other projects in the queue first.

It's hard to determine if the line can be replaced. Some of the lines are short and run from either distribution port coming from the metering valves. The lines which run in the center adjacent to the lead screw are sealed in with a sulfite mix they used to seal them into the side and protect them from chips and the lead screw. Today they use auto body filler to lock and protect them in place. They are all commingled and run through 3/8 " or so passage hole back and forth to each distribution port. Unless it is a line that runs on the same side of the saddle it may not be fixable unless you replace them all. I'm currently doing mine and would be glad to post some pictures soon. I can tell you that it is confusing even when replacing them all but once you get into it you just take your time and work through it. I started with the easy to follow shorter oilers and did them first. I then made sure the through hole was open and the lines had movement. It is rather tight so unless you can move the lines its hard to determine which is which so after tracing the shorter lines through the passage and replacing them I then moved onto the longer running lines. I'm not sure I would pull them all out as you could easily get mixed up. I numbered the lines at both points where they passed through the saddle. The larger feedline which connect each distribution port is 5/32 while the smaller lines are 3/32 with 10 metering valves. I'll try and post some pictures soon.

Jim

have my first monarch lathe ck 12 it came with looks to be a 5c collet tool with hand wheel but way to short to go near the chuck area. your thoughts [email protected] also wanting to buy a steady rest for it.

The final 2 parts (3&4) are found in 2005 issues Jan/Feb, Mar/Apr.
The series documents his method of scraping in the bed, saddle, compound etc.
General (and detailed) tear down used to be on You Tube, via Joe Frye (Machining360). Seems to have been taken down by him (or someone on his behalf). Anybody know if he's ok??

Back