What's new
What's new

Collet chuck questions

rcn11thacr

Aluminum
I am close to purchasing a Monarch 10ee and one of my jobs will require turning a 37mm part in a collet. So that leads me to an ER 25 collet. Can I use these on this type of lathe?

I am close to purchasing a Monarch 10ee and one of my jobs will require turning a 37mm part in a collet. So that leads me to an ER 25 collet. Can I use these on this type of lathe?

Er25 collets only go up to about ⅝”. 37mm is about 1.5”. Not sure how you are going to do that. But to answer your question, yes you can use an ER25 collet holder on a 10EE. But the primary collets for a 10EE are either 5C or 2J, or you can use the Jarno taper in the spindle. So if you really wanted ER25, you should first get either a 5C spindle nose and collet closer, or a 2J collet chuck, then put in a collet to match the size of the ER25 collet holder. If the ER25 collet holder has a 2MT shank, you can use an adapter in the spindle from Jarno to 2MT (standard 10EE accessory).

I used a Burnerd at work and fell in love with it. I loved it so much, I had to have one for my home shop and found one rather cheaply. Anyways, they are actually super fast, not quite as fast as a lever operated one, but still fast and accurate. I highly recommend them.

Picture is what they look like.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk
6b465a8077f3d7d131d5e847f6e0f481.jpg

Thanks to all for your info and help. My main objective was to find a collet large enough that it will hold a 1-5/8 to a 1-3/4 part. I have a job coming up that will require me to rinse repeat small changes on parts of that size and I’ll need a collet to hold them.

Schunk chuck (3 jaw) (Rota-G) with purpose bored top jaws...steel or aluminum depending on volume.
If you buy a dedicated set of master jaws for this setup then you can change them in and out without accuracy loss.....

Allows working on other projects with other jaws....quick change, high clamping power, and not a scroll closing system.

YouTube
Cheers Ross

Schunk chuck (3 jaw) (Rota-G) with purpose bored top jaws...steel or aluminum depending on volume.
If you buy a dedicated set of master jaws for this setup then you can change them in and out without accuracy loss.....

Allows working on other projects with other jaws....quick change, high clamping power, and not a scroll closing system.

YouTube
Cheers Ross
That's a pretty cool chuck, but it looks like you'd be into it for over $4k, not including backplate.

Cal

I’d suggest looking for a Hardinge Sjogren 5C chuck with a Hardinge nose on it. They aren’t that rare, I have passed on the opportunity to buy several (I already have an equivalent 2J system). The advantage of the Hardinge nose is that you can use Hardinge 5C pot chuck collet closers, and those are common as dirt and usually don’t sell for big $$. Used 5C pot chuck collets show up all the time on *Bay.

Dave

Back