What's new
What's new

Collet closer Picture Request

Jdub63

Aluminum
Can any of the Monarch gurus provide a picture of the collet closer that attaches to this 10EE? I would like to find one, but there seems to be different styles.

IMG_0452.jpg

Can any of the Monarch gurus provide a picture of the collet closer that attaches to this 10EE? I would like to find one, but there seems to be different styles.

View attachment 292114

I'm not really sure what you've got there. It might be a Monarch factory collet closer bracket that's been rotated 90 degrees for some reason.

Here's a link about the lever closer: lever collet closer

Cal

That end cover came off a manufacturing model lathe?
Here’s a link to one discussed here awhile ago with pictures of the collet closer......

10EE Manufacturing/Turret Lathe

I would think you could modify the end cover to make clearance for a non manufacturing lathe collet closer?

Kevin

That is a standard toolroom lathe headstock cover for a lathe with lever-operated collet closer. The ring needs to be rotated 90 degrees so the hinge is on the back rather than the bottom. Your photo does not show the slot on the spindle that the Monarch collet closer uses. Is there a slot, just not visible?

That is a standard toolroom lathe headstock cover for a lathe with lever-operated collet closer. The ring needs to be rotated 90 degrees so the hinge is on the back rather than the bottom. Your photo does not show the slot on the spindle that the Monarch collet closer uses. Is there a slot, just not visible?

I’m pretty sure that’s for a manufacturing lathe!

The cover is bolted on and the upper section is in two pieces, the flat section on top is for the pneumatic control of the closer, not a manual closer.

If the OP shows another picture of the back of the headstock cover, there’s a boss on the cover to mount the air cylinder for the closer.....

He may still be able to adapt to a manual closer by rotating the bracket?

Kevin

I’m pretty sure that’s for a manufacturing lathe!

The cover is bolted on and the upper section is in two pieces, the flat section on top is for the pneumatic control of the closer, not a manual closer.

If the OP shows another picture of the back of the headstock cover, there’s a boss on the cover to mount the air cylinder for the closer.....

He may still be able to adapt to a manual closer by rotating the bracket?

Kevin

That two-piece cover was used on both mfg. and toolroom lathes. It depends on whether the lathe was equipped with a collet closer other than a hand wheel. So it could have an air-operated closer or a lever operated closer. Later 10EE's moved the bracket that supported the lever to the back side of the headstock, but all the round dial machines with Monarch lever-operated collet closers used that cover.

I've never seen an air-operated closer. Does anyone have photos or a parts diagram that shows one?

My 1943 toolroom 10EE came with a factory installed, lever-operated collet closer. It has the two-piece upper cover with the flat mounting pad on top, but there are no mounting holes in the pad. None of the brochures that I have show the option. But its existance does explain the purpose of the mounting pad.

Cal

That two-piece cover was used on both mfg. and toolroom lathes. It depends on whether the lathe was equipped with a collet closer other than a hand wheel. So it could have an air-operated closer or a lever operated closer. Later 10EE's moved the bracket that supported the lever to the back side of the headstock, but all the round dial machines with Monarch lever-operated collet closers used that cover.

Okay, I stand corrected! I have never seen one in person.....

I've never seen an air-operated closer. Does anyone have photos or a parts diagram that shows one?

My 1943 toolroom 10EE came with a factory installed, lever-operated collet closer. It has the two-piece upper cover with the flat mounting pad on top, but there are no mounting holes in the pad. None of the brochures that I have show the option. But its existance does explain the purpose of the mounting pad.

Cal

My link above has pictures of the setup;

705D8FD8-7CFD-4021-A4CB-8270B513ECC6.jpg

Kevin

Here's some additional pictures. The manual I received from Monarch for my serial number contained a Lever Operated Draw In Attachment (unit EE 19), like the one Cal provided earlier. I also saw the "capstan model " cover on Ebay, but it has a different part number than mine. This is a 1957 model, so some of the parts seem to be older versions and some are the newer versions.

IMG_1167.jpgIMG_1164.jpgIMG_1165.jpgIMG_1166.jpg

Kevin, Thanks for the link. Apparently I have seen an air operated collet closer before. :rolleyes5:

Here's some additional pictures. The manual I received from Monarch for my serial number contained a Lever Operated Draw In Attachment (unit EE 19), like the one Cal provided earlier. I also saw the "capstan model " cover on Ebay, but it has a different part number than mine. This is a 1957 model, so some of the parts seem to be older versions and some are the newer versions.

View attachment 292314View attachment 292313View attachment 292312View attachment 292309

Your missing closer doesn't appear to be the same type as Airplane Guy's. His upper cover has a second flat spot for mounting the air cylinder:
Closer.JPG
The brochure page posted by drof34 shows two air-operated accessories:
page16.jpg

Yours looks similar to the one on the top, which wasn't for a collet closer, but for some sort of air-operated chuck. It's not clear that the air chuck model used the bracket for the pivoted yoke, which is bolted to the back of your cover.

Looking at the pattern of holes on the inside of your upper cover:
292314d1592833725-collet-closer-picture-request-img_1167.jpg

I'm pretty sure that your yoke bracket has always been mounted with the pivot at the bottom. My cover (1943 round-dial) has the same casting number as yours (EE2669). My yoke bracket is attached with four socket-head cap-screws and two dowel pins; yours seems to have and extra hole at 5 O'clock. If your yoke had been rotated, I would expect to see a second set of holes. I suspect that yours had a different type of air-operated accessory with the air cylinder mounted on the top of the cover, using the diamond-shaped pad.

Here's Parts Sheet 129, showing the lever-operated collet closer, Unit EE-19:
SHEET_129T.jpg

Note that the hand-wheel type collet attachment, shown on parts sheet 128, is also listed as "UNIT EE 19". The build sheet (Monarch Form M-128) for my 10EE lists the collet attachment as EE-19-30, which matches the above diagram.

The outboard end of your spindle clearly does not have the remains of an EE-19-30 collet attachment.

Look at the build sheet that Monarch provided you as part of the documentation package and see if it lists a collet attachment or air-operated chuck. If so, call them up and get the right parts sheet for the unit.

[FONT=&quot]Can you post a photo of your yoke bracket, so that I can see if it's like mine?[/FONT]

Cal

Cal,

Here's a few more pictures of the yoke bracket. Monarch didn't include a build sheet in my package, so I had to request one this morning. Once I get it, maybe it will provide additional clues.

Thanks to all,

Jim

Attachments

• yoke bracket 1.jpg
    yoke bracket 1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 37
  • yoke 2.jpg
    yoke 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 40
  • yoke 3.jpg
    yoke 3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 48
  • yoke 4.jpg
    yoke 4.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 52
Your bracket is similar to mine, but the ID of mine is 4", as is the width across the pivot point. One think that I noticed is that if my bracket were rotated like yours, the flange for the pivot would interfere with the knob that fastens the lower cover to the tapped hole in the bottom of the upper cover. (The middle trim strip is longer, with a knob on either end, as shown below.)
IMG_6442.jpg

Cal

I received my build sheet and it has the Collet Attachment (Lever Operated) listed with the item number 201,069. It also list a "Style "O" Turret" but I think that would be part of the tailstock. Maybe it was modified during it's life. Now I just need to get it running. Thanks for all the comments and ideas.

There was a turret assembly that replaced the tailstock as well as one that replaced the carriage.

Call them up and ask for parts sheets or assembly drawings for the collet attachment and the turret. Out of curiosity, what assembly drawing did they send you for the headstock?

Cal

Back