What's new
What's new

Considering buying a 1971 Monarch EE 10 x 30

7sharpshooter

Plastic
Took a quick look at this lathe today, very good shape, electrical was retrofitted, and appears to be well taken care of. I haven't come across a 10 x 30 before (just a few mid 40's 10EE) so I wanted to see what the opinion is of these before I consider buying it.

Opinion is high if the price is right and low if the price is high. That's just my pocketbook worth of two cents.

If the bed has visible wear it is worth its weight in dog poop

If it doesn't it is worth its weight in gold

If it is I/M platinum

Likely most anything you look at isn't going to have a new bed, so that's just a part of the decision process.

If it's badly worn you can get it precision ground for maybe $1K. So figure that into the cost and you'll be good.

While it takes time, one can find a lathe with a bed that is not worn. That is not to say new

A grand to grind, sure, after disassembly and shipping and.....this is not a lathe, it is a project. You may do this as a labor of love, but it affects the value.

I spent much time looking for lathes, twice, and every time went and saw lathes with the grand canyon on the front way, for the same asking price or more than I ended up paying for an example without the groove.

Both my Monarchs had no visible wear on the front way when purchased, and less than a thousandth when measured on the back way.

22 and 29 years later the both have no visible wear and while I have not checked them lately, they have been oiled and leveled and expect them to remain so.

Go buy a 57 Chevy, rotten to the gunnels. Is it worth the same as one meticulously kept?

Of course not.

If you are looking for a restoration project, sure it may be fun, but everyone knows that you can buy one restored, all day long, for less money.

In the lathe world, like the car world, people are constantly trying to sell rotten restoration projects for good money.

Sure if you do it yourself you know it was done right, or at least to the best of your abilities, but most of us want to drive our cars and make chips, not have another project.

How much? How much tooling? You'll get a lot of opinions after posting that picture and answering those questions. Looks worthwhile if the price is right.

Back