What's new
What's new

Convert Monarch 16CY From 440v to 220v Questions

Typical171

Plastic
I want to convert my 1942 16CY to 220v. The lathe came from a GM metal fab. plant and it looks like maybe the electrical components may have been updated from the way it cam from the factory? Im not sure. Before I removed the 5 HP motor I verified that is was wired for a 440v supply. Attached below are some pics of the components inside the box, and a pic of the motor I.D. plate. Im not an electrician and I have been researching this subject but I still have some questions. I know for one I need to replace the heaters and from the picture of the Cultler Hammer info on the heaters,( sorry the picture is out of focus) I take it I need the #1039 heaters for the 13.7 amp wired for the 220v? And this is where I am confused on the starter itself, do I need a different size starter? FYI the lathe has a work light, A PB start button, an E-stop button, a limit switch that has to be made by the chuck T-wrench, and a dro. Thanks in advance,

Joe

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After you rewire your motor for 220V change the heaters for the right ones You will need to reconnect the control transformer from 440v to 220v input and every thing should work as the relay coils are 120v that comes from the control transformer.

After you rewire your motor for 220V change the heaters for the right ones You will need to reconnect the control transformer from 440v to 220v input and every thing should work as the relay coils are 120v that comes from the control transformer.
Thanks for the reply. If I understand the wiring 220v for the step down transformer I will need one hot leg going to H1 and H3 and the other hot leg to H2 and H4 would that be correct?

That does sounds correct without seeing the connections the two winding in parallel and not in series.

Your existing motor start will work just fine.

There should be a diagram on the control transformer that shows how to connect it for 220 or 440 volt operation. If not, get the part number and search online.

There's typically a fused disconnect on the back of the machine, where power comes in. If the fuses are too small, you'll need to replace them as well. You may also need to replace the small fuse mounted next to the control transformer. What do you have now?

Do you have a coolant pump?

Cal

Your existing motor start will work just fine.

There should be a diagram on the control transformer that shows how to connect it for 220 or 440 volt operation. If not, get the part number and search online.

There's typically a fused disconnect on the back of the machine, where power comes in. If the fuses are too small, you'll need to replace them as well. You may also need to replace the small fuse mounted next to the control transformer. What do you have now?

Do you have a coolant pump?

Cal

No coolant pump and yes you can see part of the disconnect in the transformer picture above. I don't know what size fuses were in it because they were missing but as you say going from 440 to 220v I would have to change them anyway. As far as the correct heater size, do I get the heaters for the 13.7 amp of draw as labeled on the motor tag under the 220v column?

Yes, that is correct on choosing your heater size. Also, your second photo has a description of how to size the heaters for your lathe. The part numbers may be out of date (or maybe not) but the heater size is universal. Heaters are pretty cheap. Unfortunately, the main fuses next to the main disconnect are not cheap.

So the tag says for 220v is a 13.7 amp FLA. I also see the rise stated on the motor is 55 which I believe this is in celsius. The heater selection chart explains how to choose the correct heater but it talks about the service factor which I cannot find anywhere on the motor. The table was made for a 1.15 service factor and if it is a 1.0 factor then I should choose 1 size smaller, does anyone know how to determine the service factor?

So the tag says for 220v is a 13.7 amp FLA. I also see the rise stated on the motor is 55 which I believe this is in celsius. The heater selection chart explains how to choose the correct heater but it talks about the service factor which I cannot find anywhere on the motor. The table was made for a 1.15 service factor and if it is a 1.0 factor then I should choose 1 size smaller, does anyone know how to determine the service factor?
Just go with the recommended heater size. If it turns out that you can't find the exact heater you need, you can go a size or two smaller (that is, lower amperage).

As to main fuses, a 15A time-delay fuse probably won't survive the current inrush for starting the motor. I would probably use 30A fuses, provided that all the wiring is at least #10. Fuses are there to protect the wiring from a dead short, the overload device on the motor starter protects the motor from overload. But if someone who has one of these machines running from 220 is using a smaller fuse, then go with that.

Cal

Hey Thanks everybody for your expertise and advice. I very much appreciate taking the time to answer all my questions.

Back