What's new

Couple if Monarchs sold at auction this morning

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
watched these go down to the wire.
The 10EE sold for $3000.
The 12CK went for $4100.
Both had Acu Rite DROs.
Plus 26.25% for sales tax and bidder's fee on both of them. And the usual exobitant rigger's fees...
Of course the CK may have been in better condition but I would have thought the EE would have sold for more than the CK. EE was better tooled too - center and steady rests.
Then again, the CK has a wider range of functionality after all.bf0fca35-361e-49b8-9644-adfb00103d64.jpgef7c7ec4-7332-4e56-9174-adfb00103f0a.jpg15f60c6f-56ac-4be3-beb3-adfb00104de8.jpg2dd7d5c0-1a79-4aad-816f-adfa00035087.jpg3bc8e9ce-e0ea-44a1-a95b-adfa00033f5a.jpg

Auctions are weird. Just depends on who is bidding.

Certainly there are more people using and lusting after 10EE's. Posts on this forum are certainly suggestive of that. A bit more convenient size for *typical* home shop garage use. Range of functionality is debatable. CK certainly is larger capacity, but the RPM is typically limited. I know yours is uncommon in coming factory with a top spindle speed around 1000RPM. I believe the 10EE is over twice that for the slowest factory configuration.

How much did the 60/61 behind the CK go for?

That auction site doesn't post tha final sale price so I can't tell you.
I watched the 2 auctions go down to the last second. so I know what they went for.

Curious about that also. I think the 10EE is on low side of its price window but not a bargain. That 12CK is certainly high IMHO. When I bought my 12CK there were two at the auction. Four grand would have bought both with fees and rigging and had enough money to cover gas and lunch.

At auction which is risky in itself, there is much less risk in a CK or 60/61 than a 10EE. If the drive system is screwed on an old 10EE there is no fix as good as the original system so pockets need to be deep. The larger machines ran the same bearings on the 700 and 1000 rpm machines so a pulley swap is all that is needed. The older CK may have a lower rpm limit but can still be speeded up some. Weight and ability to handle the larger machines slows the price but the 10EE usually seems to command a lot of premium for the number available. Dave

On the 10EE, what is the box on the left end of the bed( where the elsr usually is) and is that a plate on the side of the lathe next to it ?

Hal

All three lathes seem to have a lighter color paint on the carriage and tailstock, so it *might* have been a preference of the shop that (re)painted them.

Yes.
There were 4 Monarchs there. 2 later ones 60/61s?.
One 15", one about 18?. All were the same two tone paint scheme.
It was a timed auction. All 4 ended within about 60 seconds of each other.
I kept 2 windows open - switching back and forth and clicking refresh.
4 windows would have been too confusing so I just focused on the two I was interested in. A bit of a flurry of bidding in the last 2 mins. Once it was over the prices disappeared. Sorry I couldn't get all the prices for you guys.

Curious about that also. I think the 10EE is on low side of its price window but not a bargain. That 12CK is certainly high IMHO. When I bought my 12CK there were two at the auction. Four grand would have bought both with fees and rigging and had enough money to cover gas and lunch.

That's sorta what happened when I bought mine last april.
Have felt too guilty to tell this story here...
Bought both my CK and a 15" Leblond dual drive at an auction 100 mi south of me.
Both worn but definately Not worn out.
Brought them home in one load.
Sold the Leblond on CL a week later.
When all was said and done I had a free lathe and all my $ back plus an extra $200 in my wallet.
Over on the vintage machinery forum it is okay to tell a fellow you hate him if he got a good deal. So I don't mind if you all get to hatin' on me. Might help me get over some of the guilt. :)

I don't have a problem with someone buying at auction and flipping a machine IF he also assesses it and either fixes or at least informs the buyer of the good and bad. Taking risk and time out of the equation is worth a lot to me. My problem is the guy who acts like he has owned and used a machine but is unfamiliar with it and in effect misleads the buyer. Flipping is fine but carries some responsibility in my world. I've had experiences with the " I'm selling my father in law's machine and don't know much about it " and sending pictures I just saw on IRS or Bidspotter. Dave

I live in the area, and won a few lots. Laid off the machines though. I know they dont show final sale price so I was keeping track of machines, and quick notes.

The Hardinge lathe went for over $10,000

The Cinci mill was real nice,the best condition machine at the auction. and went for over $5100, and I think was $5700

Van Norman No36 universal went for $1600. This was a project machine, oil leaks everywhere and ways not great.

Monarch 12ck $4100

1946 10ee $3000

Series 61 13" x 54" real nice too $3600 that I saw.

Series 61 13" but really 20" lol, x 150" bed went for $4500

One Bridgeport went for $4000, and another $3700.

A Doall drill press I lost track of, last I saw was at $1900 pretty sure.

The auction link to see the listings is here for now:
Harris Auctions | Machine Tools and Surplus Assets to a Major Oilfield Research & Development Center lots

The ways on the Monarchs were all pretty nice, most exceptionally so. All were tool room lathes. The 13 x 54 Series 61 and 12ck had travel dials on apron too.

I went to site inspection yesterday, I had limited time, but the only issue I saw was the feed rod bushing on the 12ck in the qcgb, I could move it up and down quite a bit.

Yeah, there's another disparity. I have a CK that I like, but I'd pay considerably more for a 61 than a CK in equivalent condition. You don't always get the ordered of sale that you'd like to make those decisions.

Good catch checking those feed rod bushings, fortunately with the CK you don't have to pull the QCGB to remove the side plate and replace the bushings.

Certainly there are more people using and lusting after 10EE's. Posts on this forum are certainly suggestive of that. A bit more convenient size for *typical* home shop garage use. Range of functionality is debatable. CK certainly is larger capacity, but the RPM is typically limited. I know yours is uncommon in coming factory with a top spindle speed around 1000RPM. I believe the 10EE is over twice that for the slowest factory configuration.

I bought the 12CK. $4100

Back