What's new
What's new

crash damage?

bellaireroad

Aluminum
s-l1600.jpg

I have not inspected this 10ee, but does this look like crash damage on the carriage? What other problems to look for with this? thanks

Yes, that's typical of jaw contact damage. Usually not too big a deal, just looks ugly and gives others a chance to razz you. In the student shop I manage on Sundays we have four EE's, and each of them has those markings (some worse than others). Relative to their age and general wear, they still work fine.

Run through the speed ranges and gear feeds, make sure there's no odd noises or "clicking" sounds that might be indicative of broken gear teeth. Make sure the X and Z feed clutches work correctly, and that you can engage the threading split nuts without issue. Check for wear on the ways, ridges or dings may be present. The compound and X crossfeed should be smooth without cyclic notchiness or other anomalies.

These are robust machines, and frequently if something is really wrong it's obvious. Search for other 10EE repair or new machine threads, you'll get more opinions on what to look for.

The chuck jaws have been hitting the cross slide... Look for cracks and looseness in the cross slide, bearing play on the spindle and missing teeth on the gears, sometimes there is a tick in the gear train sound..

My 1954 Heavy 10 had that same damage when I purchased it in 1982.. I found no serious damage at the time I bought it...

Damage in that area on an old manual lathe is as common as rain. That's what happen when one goes for just that little bit more and...bap bap bap bap bap ohhh shit bap bap.

The damage I see in your picture really isn't that bad, didn't look like a chuck removing kind of crash.

See the scalp radius on the other side.. If mine and not wishing to weld it up and make look square and new..
I would grind that same prtern to the crashes side and it would look prety and not beat up.
Likely start at the botom bevel and bring a nice grind up and aroung the same curve, It would look like a factory special..

View attachment 177714

I have not inspected this 10ee, but does this look like crash damage on the carriage? What other problems to look for with this? thanks

If you are looking at buying it?

A not-common situation is that whilst you are researching a dozen years of GREAT info on PM alone, in PUBLIC.. some other Pilgrim who has already done HIS reading will twig to the availability.. and buy it out from under you.

No joke. I just grabbed my second 10EE a short while ago.

Both are 'usable' as-is by old Niles compensate-for-many-faults-or-starve lathe hands (guilty!), and also eminently restorable to as nearly new as patience, budget, and iron will are available.

That's just the way it is with a Monarch.

Takes C-4, Thermate, an oxygen-lance, or a large remelt cupola to put one TOTALLY beyond repair.

You want one? Dither yee not. JF buy it.

No other 'veteran' manual toolroom lathe on-planet has as much high-grade support, Monarch Lathe LP or right here, as a 10EE.

Damned few others even deserve it. Those few usually need more (gears & such) and do NOT have as much support.

Bill

If you are looking at buying it?

A not-common situation is that whilst you are researching a dozen years of GREAT info on PM alone, in PUBLIC.. some other Pilgrim who has already done HIS reading will twig to the availability.. and buy it out from under you.

No joke. I just grabbed my second 10EE a short while ago.

Both are 'usable' as-is by old Niles compensate-for-many-faults-or-starve lathe hands (guilty!), and also eminently restorable to as nearly new as patience, budget, and iron will are available.

That's just the way it is with a Monarch.

Takes C-4, Thermate, an oxygen-lance, or a large remelt cupola to put one TOTALLY beyond repair.

You want one? Dither yee not. JF buy it.

No other 'veteran' manual toolroom lathe on-planet has as much high-grade support, Monarch Lathe LP or right here, as a 10EE.

Damned few others even deserve it. Those few usually need more (gears & such) and do NOT have as much support.

Bill

Good advice, after careful self reflection, I may indeed be a "ditherer". But I try never to "dither" in public, especially on an open forum:nono:

Back