What's new
What's new

Cross slide cover

FRINK

Plastic
My 1952 EE (no taper attach.) is missing the back way cover on the cross slide. I thought I might make one, which prompts a couple of questions.
Is this cover hinged? Does it have a way wiper? Approximately how long should it be? Could anyone post a couple of pictures.

I just completed scraping the ways, and would like to protect all those hours of sweat and toil.
Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Frink,
The back cover is about 3" long, width and height match the cross slide. It is usually cast aluminum, but early 10EE's had them made of heavy gauge sheet metal. It is held on by a pair of 1/4-20 bolts, accessed from the open end.

-Dave

I measured my cover this morning (1956 machine with taper attachment). It is also 3" long. It has a gusset with a hole for the attaching bolt in both of the back upper corners (next to the cross slide).

My cover does not touch the ways for the cross slide and does not have any way wipers.

If you still need a photo, let me know and I can try to take one this evening.

Hope this helps,
Jim

How was the scraping of the ways? Did you have to use a power scraper to do it. I am thinking of doing it on my 10EE . Thanks
Khanh

Here's a crop from another image I had on my server, it shows the cover in relation to the saddle and taper attachment.

10ee_cross_slide_detail.jpg

Mine was cast iron, and from some work I did I think it was ductile iron. Mine came with a lot of tapped holes for one thing or another, in the process of painting I filled all the holes with threaded plugs swedged in place.

Back