What's new
What's new

Curious Spindle Locknuts on Monarch CW

jlkunka

Aluminum
Help please!

I'm stumped by the collars on the spindle of my lathe. The Spindle Nut (Monarch #52) was simple, with a setscrew and one-pin spanner for removal. Behind that I have the Spindle Spacing Collar (#53) and the Rear Oil Ring (#55).

Looking at the photos, the Spindle Spacing Collar has two broached slots at 180, but it doesn't turn, and doesn't want to pull straight off. It has a smooth OD with no holes. On the spindle, the threads appear to end at a groove under the collar, and I can't tell if they pick up again or the diameter just increases.

Anyone have experience removing this? I don't want to resort to channel locks or something that will mar the OD.

Attachments

• 20181101_074132.jpg
    20181101_074132.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20181101_074136b.jpg
    20181101_074136b.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I'll take educated guesses...

How about uneducated?:D

Drawing M-1683 for CM (bigger machine) shows a pair of holed lock nuts abutting a ring that is up against the rear most Timken

The ring would never "pull off", because it is FLANGED and the flange is inside of the HS casting.

It would, however, easily come off as the spindle moved out towards the tail stock

Yes, a possibility...

The rings rotate with the spindle, and there is a joint so it's two pieces still on the spindle. The manual Monarch sent me calls these the Spindle Spacing Collar (#53) and the Rear Oil Ring (#55). Neither has a hole on the OD for a spanner.

I can envision keys or dowels projecting into the broached slots to keep the Spindle Spacing Collar from turning as the outermost Spindle Nut is adjusted to set bearing preload. From that point, theoretically the setscrew would keep it from losing it's setting, but it's not as positive as an AN locknut with its tabbed washer.

The spindle will be coming out, and it did seem to turn more freely once the Spindle Nut was removed - as if the preload relieved itself a bit.

Back