What's new
What's new

CVA Spindle will not turn freely while threading is selected.

rblalexander

Aluminum
Hi Everyone, I hope you don't mond me posting this here. I have a 1959 CVA series 1a mk 3 which is very very similar in build to a round dial EE. I am nearly finished giving it a once over and i have one troubling issue left.
With Feeds selected on the headstock everything runs smoothly, no issues. But when i use the dog clutch to engage left or right threading the spindle almost locks completely up, I can only just budge it. I have isolated the feed gearbox and taken all the output gears off, I then took the top off the headstock and had a good feel of everything.

I only noticed one issue, the RH bushed gear on the spindle will not wiggle at all (its mating gear doesthough so there is lash) wheras its LH partner will. I then took the pair of big set screws that hold the bush out and gave it a wiggle and the entire housing will rotate much more freely which is deeply worrying. Im assuming some grit has got in through the top oiler port and bound the bush up but I am limited in experience here.

My question is what is the least invasive order of operations in order to get that gear and its bush out. Should i try flushing the bush with solvent? I have read through the other spindle threads I could find here but it seems most people were addressing leaks and didnt clearly show removing those gears.

20180505_144817.jpg

Any help appreciated

If anyone needs more specific photos i will try.

To my knowledge the only major differences between a CVA headstock and round dial is that the front bearing is not flanged and there is no tach drive, from all the photos I have seen here they seem identical.

Attachments

• 20180505_144817.jpg
    20180505_144817.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 79

Back