What's new
What's new

D1-4 on 10EE

Karl_T

Cast Iron
I am looking to buy a second 10EE...

Mine has D1-3 spindle nose. Is this a typo below? Or did they make a Monarch with D1-4?

Karl

Equipped With:

Taper Attachment, Cushman 6" 3-Jaw Chuck, 8-1/4" 3-Jaw Chuck, Collet Closing Nose & Draw Tube,
Description:

Tool Post, Pneumatic Collet Closer and Installed Chuck NOT Included
Electrics:

3-Phase
Manufacturer: Monarch Model: 10 EE Tool Room Lathe Year: 1950 Serial Number: 33144
Main Unit Approx Weight: 3450.00 lbs
Main Unit Dimensions (in inches): Length: 70.00" Width: 32.00" Height: 56.00"
Specs:
Max Sing Over Bed: 12.5
Max Center Distance: 20"
Spindle Speeds: Variable Speed to 2,500 RPM
Max Swing Over Cross-Slide: 7"
Bar Capacity: 1-1/16"
Spindle Nose: D1-4 Camlock
Tailsock Quill Taper: #2MT

They're all D1-3. Another error is the capacity through the spindle, which is 1-3/8". The 1-1/16" might be the capacity with the collet closer draw tube.

Cal

I expect that's a typo or just a mistake (Hey Roy what's the spindle nose on that 10EE we're trying to sell? I dunno. D1-4?)

On the other hand I wouldn't die of surprise if someone with really deep pockets, e.g. US government, might have paid Monarch to build one with the larger spindle nose. No idea if that would be possible. I did check on my 10EE, the D1-4" spindle nose would NOT overlap the bolt hole circle on that cast piece behind the spindle nose. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has ever seen such a thing.

By the way according to the ANSI standard "B5.9 Spindle Noses for Tool Room Lathes, Turret Lathes, and Automatic Lathes" the recommended spindle nose size for a tool room lathe with a "catalog size" of 10" and an actual swing of 12 1/2" is D1-4", not D1-3", with the L0 long taper as an alternative.

And two replies between when I started and finished typing.

David

I expect that's a typo or just a mistake (Hey Roy what's the spindle nose on that 10EE we're trying to sell? I dunno. D1-4?)On the other hand I wouldn't die of surprise if someone with really deep pockets, e.g. US government, might have paid Monarch to build one with the larger spindle nose. No idea if that would be possible. I did check on my 10EE, the D1-4" spindle nose would NOT overlap the bolt hole circle on that cast piece behind the spindle nose. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has ever seen such a thing.By the way according to the ANSI standard "B5.9 Spindle Noses for Tool Room Lathes, Turret Lathes, and Automatic Lathes" the recommended spindle nose size for a tool room lathe with a "catalog size" of 10" and an actual swing of 12 1/2" is D1-4", not D1-3", with the L0 long taper as an alternative.And two replies between when I started and finished typing.David

Dave

I type so slow the day often changes between start and end of post. It looks like you did some research.

Typing specs should be done by someone who knows their stuff. Amazon made a typo on a gear that cost me a minimum of 6 hours of search time to verify. I reported it to them and they said they would correct it. Three weeks passed and still no correction. They dont really care.

I was watching that auction as well. Looked to be a good machine. A bit too far away for me to retrieve at those prices.

I was watching that auction as well. Looked to be a good machine. A bit too far away for me to retrieve at those prices.

It will soon be close to you. I am a sno-bird and am setting up a winter shop in Marathon. After running a 10EE for thirty years, just can not stand the idea of running something less. (my son lives ten miles from the auction)

Well, its an auction - was not able to run it. Looks good, but always a pig'n'poke when buying this way.

I have got screwed a couple times buying at auction. But the same thing has happened buying from a jockey. So I just takes my chances. Most of the time it works out. I do not expect a perfect machine when its 70 years old.

A beat to shite EE is better than almost any new Asian lathe by a country mile.

Karl

I think it has that optional cross feed dial, "accumulator" type, is that the right term? I think it makes it easy to keep track of multiple full revolutions of the cross feed. Also I see a step chuck closer on the floor. Looks clean and not by virtue of a covers-all-sins new coat of paint.

David

Back