What's new
What's new

d13 independent chuck

indmachrep

Hot Rolled
i am looking for a d13 4 jaw independent chuck. i see several on ebay for under $225 that have no back plate used American and i also see imports with back plates used for the same price. i lean towards the used american. what are some of your thoughts. i guess if someone has one here let me know as i rather someone here take my money. thank you

I also prefer used American made. But you need to examine pics with a fine tooth comb. I like to see all 4 tracks for jaws to ensure no damage, and also the condition of all 4 jaws.

i am looking for a d13 4 jaw independent chuck. i see several on ebay for under $225 that have no back plate used American and i also see imports with back plates used for the same price. i lean towards the used american. what are some of your thoughts. i guess if someone has one here let me know as i rather someone here take my money. thank you
My personal preference is the 4 jaws with integral back that are lightened. They were almost standard equipment on a 10EE so there are a lot of them out there. There are a couple on ebay currently:

Burnerd D13 6" independent 4 jaw lathe chuck 1542 | eBay
Horton 8 in. 4-Jaw Independent Chuck D1-3 Mount (Inv.29427) | eBay

The thin ones are really nice:
Burnerd 4 jaw 8” D13 independent thin bodied chuck + key | eBay

You should try haunting your local used machine tool dealer. I've always got a laundry list of stuff I need and the shop I deal with never overcharges. That being said, I was in the same boat and they had a very nice - non beat Cushman just sitting in the back waiting on me when I got down there. It was a lot quicker than waiting on one of the hit-miss on line sellers, got to inspect it and no shipping cost involved.. also supports your local sellers. Don

Don your a lucky lucky man,:) to have a local machinery dealer.
I'm not sure where the closest one to me is. A state or two away.

Hal

If I'd known I could have picked one up last week in an auction, several D1-3 chucks in that one - looked like they'd found a kit of 10EE chucks. I think the 8" 4 jaw ended up going for $45 or so. I did end up with the 5C nose piece at an ok price.

Sound like some great prices.
Just not much in this area and what there is brings a lot.
Hal

Yeah, you're in about the only other machinery desert I've seen. New Mexico at least has (had) the national labs, but now all their machinery has been sold off except a little bit of stuff.

the tool dealers done deal here i know them all. its not what it use to be. I would a 4 jaw steel. My machine can turn 4k rpm but i never turn that fast. I see a couple of skinners and a few Hurtons on ebay i might ask about

Of course trolls cant post photos, or make a single thing on a Monarch 10ee, somehow I can do both!
I am not limited to finding the chuck that fits. With the machine being a toolmaking lathe, carving out a custom back plate, including the pins, is a smooth operation, and better time spent then reading about "short bus drive follies" on this forum!
Anyway here is a 8" Union steel chuck,
r7dGs5Y.jpg

Chucks just like this sell at HGR for $199 often, Monarch never offered a four jaw chuck with aggressive jaws like that, good chuck for castings, repairs!
Where the toolmaking part comes in, it is plainly visible in this photo that you can make your own back plate, but. not if you are a troll however. Do not expect chucks or back plates to fit your machine, that were not fit at the factory and supplied with your lathe. I found reworking import backplates as almost time consuming as making them from scratch out of steel. And they fit perfectly, that toolmaking thing again.
CHmSBin.jpg

There are many good chucks that are rusty, look at the face and edges, pick a crispy looking one, clean off the rust, often 4 jaw chucks are seldom if ever used. Union Skinner Cushman BuckAronie!

Donie i hear you. i made the back plate for my 6 jaw. After looking at some imports, ill wait for a decent american chuck or Bison. My six jaw is a bison and i like it. Do most use 6 inch chucks for the 4 jaw or 8 inch

If the OP is interested, or anyone else, I have this 8” Horton I’d sell for $100 plus shipping from 53186. It is D13 back. The jaws are a bit loose in the body which can be a pain depending on what you are doing. I don’t know if there’s a cure for that. Anyway full disclosure.
71b371fe59b0fddb85e69775d216d68c.jpg

eaa1d6ca269cb4f15d68bb63c9157ebd.jpg

f859f1885d3a30e25d5cc1423f5603f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several chucks for my lathes, only two have back plates. I really prefer integral mount chucks. The only chucks with back plates are my 10" 6 jaw Buck and a 10" 4 jaw Asian chuck I got with a machine. Direct mount chucks are lighter and have a bit better length capacity. That may not be critical but on a short bed lathe like a 10EE every bit helps. I like 2 piece jaws on 3 jaw chucks and prefer solid jaws on 4 jaw chucks.

Back