What's new
What's new

DIY 10EE & 12CK sight glass gaskets if you have a Cricut machine

paroikoi

Aluminum
Hi all. I just got my first 10EE to complement my 1943 12CK. My new 10EE is a 1953 MG Navy machine. It's not in great shape, at least cosmetically. I feel like I got a good deal, though, so don't judge it too much in the photos.

Anyhow, the machine hadn't been used in probably 10 years and the oil levels were all below the sight glasses. The sight glasses themselves were also filthy. So, I pulled all the sight glasses to clean them. Of course, the cork gaskets didn't fare so well in most cases. I decided I'd try to use my wife's Cricut machine to cut new gaskets. It worked perfectly. I cut a total of 20 gaskets, enough for my new 10EE and my 12CK plus a couple spares.

In case this is useful to anyone else, I figured I would post about it. Below are photos of the gaskets, the material I used (it was from a local auto parts store), and the sight glasses after installation. If you or a family member or friend have a Cricut machine, I will be happy to email you the .png file I used. I made it with a free 2D CAD program. You'll have to import the .png file into Cricut Design Space. Then scale the .png file until the line in the upper left of the .png file measures 3.0". Then print/cut it with the Cricut set on the highest thickness (poster board on our Cricut). It took less than 15 minutes for it to cut 20 of them then a few more minutes for me to pop them out. Not bad!

I couldn't get the .png file to attach to this post, so here's a link to it on imgur: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

If the .png file there doesn't work, email me and I'll be happy to email it to you. I'll also be happy to answer any questions you have. This is the first time I've used my wife's Cricut!

Cheers!

Josh

PXL_20210615_214733860.jpg
PXL_20210610_123231423.jpg
PXL_20210616_000056271.jpg
PXL_20210616_012641780.jpg

No, I used the original metal disks. I cleaned them with citrus paint stripper then spray painted them with a couple coats of Rustoleum high gloss white appliance epoxy spray paint. I had read somewhere here of at least one other person having used that paint and it lasted for years.

Ha ha! My wife just bought a Cricut! Time to slide in one it. Can you send me a copy of the .png file?

Will dot McRay at gmail dot com.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back