What's new
What's new

Do you want Metric Change Gears for Round Dials?

I Want 10EE Round Dial Metric Threading Change Gears

• No. I have no use for any

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
So, it looks as if I've bought a 10EE... Still have to go retrieve it, but high on the list of "things to do" is Metric threading change gears.

It has been pointed out to me by a few people that others may also desire some, so I am starting this thread to gauge interest. Some people will recognize that part of what my shop does is making gears. So, I'm well accustomed to the task. I will definitely be manufacturing a set for myself and as long as I'm setting up to do so I may as well make more, if they are desired. These will be made of quality steel, Hobbed, Labelled ( tooth count ), Heat Treated, Tempered, and inspected for quality.

Unless someone wants to step up and offer storage box making they will be shipped loose, individually wrapped, leaving it up to the owner to accommodate storage for themselves. I don't do wood. Anything I touch of wood ends up looking like an army of drunken termites with blow torches got ahold of it... Metal. I do metal.

This is simply to gauge interest for my own planning purposes and will likely not happen for a few months.

Only 3? Well, I guess that keeps it easy. Haha! Will post when I get ready to do this. My plan is to keep it affordable for you guys. It won't be as cheap as buying Boston Gear stock one by one, but it won't be as much as the ones that used to be available. Of course, the quality I won't scrimp on.

Zahnrad, how about some details? i.e. what is the design of the set? Are you planning on duplicating the old round dial metric set, or is it a new design of your making?

Zahnrad, how about some details? i.e. what is the design of the set? Are you planning on duplicating the old round dial metric set, or is it a new design of your making?

Hi Rimcanyon!

To answer your questions - Yes. :)

I am going to make some sets as per OEM. I am _also_ going to make some alternative offerings based upon discussions with others. ( primarily Cal ) Is there something particular in mind that you are interested in?

So these aren`t compatible with a square dial lathe?Would setting up for a run of square dial metrics be a possibility?

Skydawg, No, the Square Dials used a different set of gears in my understanding. Yes, of course it would be possible to make a set for you. To be perfectly frank, you would be better served to see if you can get more people involved to help mitigate the cost of setting up for the making of one set by making a few sets. But yes, we can do that if you want. Feel free to write me directly through the forum or PM for contact info. I'll do whatever I can to assist you.

I could use a set as well Bob

Bob, which are you referring to? Round Dial or Square Dial?

Side question for all interested in Metric Transposing sets -

Some people will accept only the higher quality bearing offerings, and others consider the more affordable imports to be satisfactory for their needs. The differences in prices can range from stark to shocking, as anyone that has ever worked on their EE can attest.

I'm thinking of offering just the bare gear sets as everyone will likely have different levels of comfort on bearing selection, but thought to at least ask. Do you want the Idler Gears' bearings included or would you rather source them yourselves?

Hi Rimcanyon!

To answer your questions - Yes. :)

I am going to make some sets as per OEM. I am _also_ going to make some alternative offerings based upon discussions with others. ( primarily Cal ) Is there something particular in mind that you are interested in?

Yes, more details. What will the full set consist of, what will the dp and pa be, will the gears be available in singles or only in sets, will you be reproducing the metric gear plate (that lists the pitches available with each combination and gearbox setting), will you be reproducing the original wood box the set came in, also what variations are you considering (as you mentioned above).

I think if you can fill in the info above, it would get a lot more round dial owners to respond in this thread.

Yes, more details. What will the full set consist of, what will the dp and pa be, will the gears be available in singles or only in sets, will you be reproducing the metric gear plate (that lists the pitches available with each combination and gearbox setting), will you be reproducing the original wood box the set came in, also what variations are you considering (as you mentioned above). I think if you can fill in the info above, it would get a lot more round dial owners to respond in this thread.

( EDITED for additions )

Rimcanyon -

Each set will be comprised of the same gears as offered OEM, by Monarch.
If I do this there will be no halfassery, whether for myself or for others.

DP and PA as per OEM as well. In case this is a quiz, 32/14.5 and 16/14.5 as per original.

My plan is to have a plate made for my own use, but if there is enough interest I will be happy to offer it along with the kit.

Boxes - I don't do wood. The few times that I have forced myself to work with wood it has always ended with it looking like an Army of drunken termites armed with blow torches got ahold of it. So you really do not want me doing that to something as nice as a kit of Metric Change Gears for a Monarch....

Singles - I do not plan to offer singles of the set, per se'. I will focus on Hobbing sets. However, if someone should need but one or two gears, we do that all the time and I can certainly assist. In fact, I've already agreed to make two singles for Monarch men, here. :)

With that said... This started out with my resolve to make a set for myself, and a few people saying that they would be interested as well when I posted it. Originally, my efforts were to be focused on providing a quality set of Metric Change Gears at a reasonable cost so that it would be achievable by as many people as possible. Due to the number of emails, PMs, and responses here I think it is time to get it all in one spot. So let's discuss it...

Is there any form of consensus of what is desired from a Metric Change Gear kit? Gears only? Gears with bearings? Gear with bearings and chart? Gears with bearings, chart, and box?

Is this a good time for poll?

I was in for some time via the PM method, but I'll repeat it here as well. And I guess I'm good with gears with bearings, but not chinese bearings. I'm ok with japanese bearings though, but I'll admit I don't even know what bearing is in the idler gears on my lathe. And if I had the ability to cast the plate, I'd do that on my own, but I don't have that ability right now. But I guess I could mill it as I do have a cnc mill. Or I could mill a pattern for someone that could cast them. So I'm ok either way there. What size is the Monarch plate and where was it mounted on the lathe?

I do have the ability to make a quality box, so that's not a concern of mine. By the way, my 10EE is a 1943 round dial model. I've been cutting metric threads for a few years with it by the special stud and box gears that have been posted in the threads here on this forum.

Bob

I'm ok with japanese bearings though, but I'll admit I don't even know what bearing is in the idler gears on my lathe. And if I had the ability to cast the plate, I'd do that on my own, but I don't have that ability right now.

The bearings in the idlers were C487505V. They are externally snap ring retained. On the plate, my plan was only concerning myself, so I had planned on a sheet metal plate, like on South Bend lathes. If the consensus desires something more substantial, accommodations can be made.

Mine is a round dial a bare gear set would be fine by me. Bob
Bob, which are you referring to? Round Dial or Square Dial?

Side question for all interested in Metric Transposing sets -

Some people will accept only the higher quality bearing offerings, and others consider the more affordable imports to be satisfactory for their needs. The differences in prices can range from stark to shocking, as anyone that has ever worked on their EE can attest.

I'm thinking of offering just the bare gear sets as everyone will likely have different levels of comfort on bearing selection, but thought to at least ask. Do you want the Idler Gears' bearings included or would you rather source them yourselves?

I'll see about having some reproduction threading plates made. I sent off for a engraving quote. Bob

I've also got a conversation going about some data plates. These would be the thinner, sheet kind. ( Like South Bend plates ) Macht nicht obwohl zu Ich. They're not in my bailiwick and I'd not take offense if you or someone else would rather.
icon14.png
:)

Edit - I had previously reached out to a PM member that makes plates and received an approximate price of $40.00 per plate, plus a few dollars for shipping. I am not marking them up, merely passing them along if they are desired to be had.

Last edited:
I just saw this. I too would be interested in the gears..jim

Zahnrad...sent a pm and your message box is full.

I just saw this. I too would be interested in the gears..jim
Zahnrad...sent a pm and your message box is full.

Thanks Jim. I cleared it out now. Filled up last night evidently. :( It is also possible to email me directly, through the site, here. ( for others coming along now ) Jim, are you desiring a Round Dial kit or a Square dial kit? ( trying to keep track )

I contacted the guy that makes the reproduction round dial thread/feed plate. Cal knows his work It's tuscon engraving I don't have a price yet. here is an example of his work. Bob001[1].jpg

Back