does anyone have readouts .........................
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On their EE? I have been pondering adding them to my machine but seem to go back and forth depending on how well my chickbook is looking at the time. What are your thoughts?
    Fred T

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fred: I don't have a dro on my Monarch. The cross feed dials are very good and repeat fine for me! As for the length measuring, i have a Trav-A-dial . You can get these at auction for $100 or so. Check for freedom of movement, and no skid marks on the tracking wheel. I make my own brackets as the universal factory ones are pretty clumky. A DRO is great if you are making many of the same thing with lots of sholders etc. Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My 10ee had them but thay were removed before thay sold it to me. But I am going to put some I got on Ebay back on. The x is easy, The y will cause the tail stock to be held back about .750 this should not be a big deal..Phil in Mt

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All:
    Readouts on a lathe are regarded with some controversy.
    Many people swear by them...some others (me included) think they're of limited value.
    The reason I don't like them is that you cannot anticipate the numbers as they approach in the same way you can anticipate the approach of a dial hand toward its target.
    So on the Z axis they will slow you down a lot compared to a dial indicator or a travel dial.
    On the X axis, you very rarely need to deal with backlash in the same way you do routinely on a mill, so their value is questionable there too.
    The only thing that makes them worthwhile on the X axis is that the Monarch screw has a stupid pitch at least on the older machines.
    My personal choice is going to be a new X axis screw at 0.100" pitch, and a Trav-a-dial on the Z axis.
    I'm also going to dump the tailstock screw and the compound screw and replace them with ones of 0.100" pitch.
    Obviously, I don't care a fig for authenticity...my machine is strictly a working tool, so the resale value of my machine will probably plummet compared to a historically accurate rebuild.
    But then, I'm hoping to own it 'till I croak!!
    Just my two cents' worth.
    Cheers

Marcus

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marcus : will you engrave your own micrometer collars when you chamge the screw and nut? Ross

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ross:
    I am planning to machine off the existing graduations and then re-engrave the grads and numbers I want.
    I've got all I need to do the trick...the hard part for me is finding the time.
    Cheers

Marcus

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For me I need dros to see where I am going, the numbers are getting to hard to see>>>phil in Mt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm with Phil here, beginning to have trouble reading the dials (or making more mistakes, maybe the same thing). When I finally tire of it I'll likely drop a DRO on the lathe like I did on the mill - then there's no trouble reading despite slop in the screws, you have inch/metric automatically and can change from diameter reading to radius reading instantly. It's still not as handy as on the mill, but handy enough that I'll do it sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now all you need do is take the output of the DRO, converted to radius, and then input that signal as a modifier to the EEs spindle speed control, thereby achieving a constant SFM function, somewhat like the one on the EE1000.