What's new
What's new

ee 3&5 hp DC motor specs

dznit

Aluminum
Are the motor specs for the main drive
3&5 hp DC motors avaiable?
(torq curves, rpm v/s volts, etc)

After reading many posts, it seems one option is to keep the main DC motor & gearbox
and design a complete new drive.
Ideal: 220/240V 1phase in with proper dc to rotor & field. But 1st must be very clear on motor specs before designing circuits.

I previously posted the nameplate data for my (spare) GE 5 HP motor. My '56 WiaD machine presently has a Reliance 3 HP motor installed. (It's "sibling" was the donor of the 5 HP motor).

Design the drive for 5 HP and it will be good for 3 HP.

More than likely, you will not be able to get the required 230/115 volts from a 240 volt single-phase source.

Commercial VVDs, both "open frame" and full-function, cannot do better than 180/90 volts on 240 volts single-phase. Some can do 230/115 volts on 240 volts three-phase and one or two can do 230/115 volts on 480 volts single-phase (after programming them to ignore the missing phase).

However, if you designed your drive for a 264 or 288 volt single-phase source, and used an autotransformer or autotransformers to obtain that source voltage, you would undoubtedly be able to obtain full armature and (shunt) field voltages from a 240 volt single-phase source.

0.5 KVA autotransformer(s) should do the job nicely.

You could use full-wave rectification for the armature and half-wave rectification for the (shunt) field, with a 120/240 volt source, boosted as described, using autotransformer(s).

The 10EE "Modular" drive used full-wave and half-wave for the armature and (shunt) field, respectively; the earlier WiaD drive used full-wave in both cases.

Back