What's new
What's new

EE feed gear box output questiions

AlfaGTA

Diamond
Working on my modular EE and i have questions on the two output shafts from the QC gear box (Lead screw and feed rod)

First off the shafts appear to have seals fitted on the shafts of both the lead screw and feed rod..
My drawing shows the seals as being the same part # EE-3900. My machine when taken apart had no fitted seals there.

Question is are these seals just conventional lip seals..drawing does not depict the seals like any i have ever seen...almost always the fluid retaining side of the seal is on the recessed side,. meaning that the flat face points away from the oil...The drawing does not look like that...
Are these seals special..unique to Monarch?

Second question relates to the feed rod connection at the QC box. Drawing indicates that i have an assembly used when the machine is fitted with single automatic length stop.
Looks like the entire drive is provided by the relatively small area of the flat face of part EE3635 pushed (via spring and plunger) against the bottom bore of the outer housing EE 3632

Setup looks pretty weak to my eve. That joint looks like it would not provide enough torque to do any useful work.before slipping...what am i missing here?

Cheers Ross

Second question relates to the feed rod connection at the QC box. Drawing indicates that i have an assembly used when the machine is fitted with single automatic length stop.
Looks like the entire drive is provided by the relatively small area of the flat face of part EE3635 pushed (via spring and plunger) against the bottom bore of the outer housing EE 3632

Setup looks pretty weak to my eve. That joint looks like it would not provide enough torque to do any useful work.before slipping...what am i missing here?

Cheers Ross
18976d1263400842-feed-rod-drive-mismatch-201073_feed_clutch_detail.jpg

EE3635 sits inside of and rotates with EE3632 and EE3634. Tabs on EE3635 lock its rotation to EE3634. EE3635 has internal splines that drive the leadscrew via external splines on EE3636.

18996d1263420179-feed-rod-drive-mismatch-feed-rod-clutch-disassembly.jpg

This link should help clear things up: Feed rod drive mismatch

Cal

Thanks Cal....I understand now...The spring and plunger are there to allow the feed rod to move towards the headstock when the carriage hits the length stop....this disengages the feed.
Otherwise the coupling is rigid....Totally missed the connection of the two dogs on the shaft to the outer spline.
Thanks for the link and your description.

Now just need to know about the seals.
Cheers Ross

It has been so long, but as I remember, both gearbox output shafts were able to be retrofitted with off the shelf CR ( Chicago Rawhide) single lipped seals without alteration. When I originally opened up the gearbox, coolant from its earlier life had made its way past those wonderful labyrinth non- seals, and had made a mess inside the gearbox. I thought there must be a better way. I thought I had mentioned all this in an old post, but i can't find it. I will try to dig up some numbers but they are buried deep.

Daryl:
Do i understand that you installed the seals to prevent coolant/swarf from entering the gear box? That would be that the open side of the seals faced outward?
That agrees with the way the drawing shows the seals, but i hadn't thought about that...I have seen this done on seals on grinders to prevent coolant and grinding swarf from entering
sensitive spindles etc. Hadn't thought about that being a setup on the lathe....

Cheers Ross

That is correct. Since I will NEVER EVER run coolant, it is really a non issue. For some reason, I think I fitted them spring side (open?) towards the oil side - gearbox , but that may be incorrect, I just don't remember. But I am certainly not getting any leaks out those shafts. I went thru my paperwork and unfortunately did not find the seal numbers. I got them from Purvis Bearing, and thought I had saved the receipt. But again ,I remember them to be a straight fit into the housings with no modification.

I'm not looking at the pieces to see. But I encounter seals flipped spring side out to prevent water and debriss from entering certain engine and gear boxes in marine and industrial stuff.

Also if the bore for seal permits, if its deep enough, you can install two seals back to back. Spring facing oil side on first seal, spring facing out on the second to prevent outside elements in.

The "seal" for the leadscrew and feed rod is actually not a seal at all. It is just a simple labyrinth seal. It is a steel or iron ring that gets pressed into each cover, leaving a space for oil to collect. If you look carefully at both of the covers, there is a hole bored for the oil to escape. The cover gets installed so that the hole is down.

Back