What's new
What's new

Ball Bearings on Apron

Toms Wheels

Titanium
Can the ball bearings gibs on the apron be replaced without removing the apron? Is there a snap ring or screw that holds them to the ecentric shaft. 1960 10EE

Not really. I had to put one on after remounting the apron and it was a several hour effort. In retrospect it would have been a lot easier to dismount the apron again to put it on. I'm not sure that taking one off would even be possible.

I forgot to answer the question - the bearings are retained by a circular ring that looks like a round hog ring. It's not a circlip or e-clip, it's a damn stiff wire ring that pure-dee painful to get off (*snap* whhheeeee "Where'd that little bastard go?") and even worse to get back on.

A small hijack of the thread.....
Donnie, how hard was it to remove/install the bearings in situ? I had mine apart a while back, meant to do it, forgot and haven't gotten around to lifting the saddle (again), now it seems maybe I don't have to.
Cheers,
Steve

Are these rings loose of the ecentric shaft or a snug fit. The reason is there are rings like that in some motorcycle engines, and they are not removed, a sharp blow with a deadblow hammer compresses the ring so the shaft will slide through the gear(in this case)without removing the ring.

The rings sit in a shallow groove and are there just to keep the bearing from falling off. Pain in the arse to get off. Ideally you need the proper ring pliers to get it off.

I just put regular snap rings in their place.

I have a variety of ring pliers from my pawnshop prowling,it does take a third hand to hold or push the shaft in using the ring pliers with a screw driver as a helper to worry that ring onto the shaft.
I replaced those bearings on my 1983 EE that way as I didnt want to disturb anything on that machine because its cutting true.

Back