What's new
What's new

EE will chuck will not rotate in reverse

jprintz

Plastic
1942 model EE. Just started not turning in reverse. Set up the chase threads and when moving the direction lever "up" to reverse the spindle, the chuck rotates a few revolutions and stops. Will restart and do the same thing over and over.

Open up the DC panel and see what's happening. Have someone start and stop in forward while observing the forward contactor then try reverse and see if you see the same sort of operation. If the contactor isn't falling out of engagement you might have some debugging ahead of you.

What's the serial number and build date of the machine?

We need to see an overall photo of the machine, plus what's under the covers in the base. The big box next to the spindle motor is the DC Control Panel. We need a photo of that as well.

Cal

The reverse contactor could have contacts worn down to where they are not quite touching when the coil is energized but bounce enough to just tap together momentarily. The question is, how did the reverse ones get worn to that point before the forward ones.

Bill

The reverse contactor could have contacts worn down to where they are not quite touching when the coil is energized but bounce enough to just tap together momentarily. The question is, how did the reverse ones get worn to that point before the forward ones.

Bill

Well, it is a 75 year old machine...someone could have changed the fwd relay 50 years ago.....

funny thought, what if the belt is not right, a just barely tensioned belt might work in fwd and not reverse........tho it would probably just fall off....he is threading, back gears...hmmm....does it have ELSR........

I want to thank: rek[pler, carl haines,9100, and gustafson for their response.
1) I have been trying to post machine pictures since 2/16--no luck yet.
2) Contactor contacts stay in the closed position in forward and reverse.
3) Flat belt was replaced years ago with a 3 groove "v" belt system-only using 2 belts-no slip.
4) I was trying to chase threads and the machine has ELSP.
5) Machine spindle RPM goes way faster in reverse.

I want to thank: rek[pler, carl haines,9100, and gustafson for their response.
1) I have been trying to post machine pictures since 2/16--no luck yet.
2) Contactor contacts stay in the closed position in forward and reverse.
3) Flat belt was replaced years ago with a 3 groove "v" belt system-only using 2 belts-no slip.
4) I was trying to chase threads and the machine has ELSP.
5) Machine spindle RPM goes way faster in reverse.

Check the ELSR microswitches. I'm not sure what kind they are on your lathe. On my later square dial they are standard Microswitch brand that are available. There should also be a second speed control for reverse. On mine it is on the back of the head stock pedestal.

Bill

I need to see which DC panel you have before I can be much help. Send me an e-mail (click my name, in the upper left corner of this post). I would send you one, but you have that disabled in your profile (it's disabled by default).

Cal

9100;
I have been e-mailing Cal Haines about my Monarch EE. Can you send me your e-mail address so I can contact you direct. Cal said you rebuilt EE control boxes in the past. I have serial number 16181, dated 8-1942. This is a motor/generator not a tube model. Thanks Jim

9100;
I have been e-mailing Cal Haines about my Monarch EE. Can you send me your e-mail address so I can contact you direct. Cal said you rebuilt EE control boxes in the past. I have serial number 16181, dated 8-1942. This is a motor/generator not a tube model. Thanks Jim

I have overhauled a couple of round dial panels. Email is [email protected] and phone is 314-963-9997. That is my cell, now my only phone, so you can reach me anytime, although I may not be overly polite at 4 AM.

Bill

Back