What's new
What's new

EE10 carriage disassembly

focusrsh

Aluminum
I've started disassembling my 1942 EE10 carriage and ran into a problem. There is a shaft with a cam that operates the oil pump, and bearings at either end hold the shaft in the carriage.

IMG_6079.jpg

Taping the shaft to one side slides the bearing out of the carriage housing, but the high point on the cam then bumps up against the carriage on the inside, preventing me from removing the shaft. The hole is not big enough to pull the cam through without both bearings being out so the shaft can be moved to one side. It looks to me that the only way that shaft could have gone in there was slide in the shaft and cam, then install the bearings afterwards. However, the bearing appear to be a press-fit on the shaft, OR they are stuck tight to the shaft.

IMG_6080.jpg
In this photo you can see where I've taped a bearing out of the housing, but cannot go any further because the cam on the inside won't fit through the hole.

Suggestions? Should I put a bearing puller on the shaft? Do I have my head up my kiester as usual?

I'm answering my own question.

I don't think the bearings are technically press-fit, but they are tighter than I could move by hand. I drove one side out and away from the carriage housing, and using two small motorcycle tire changing levers, was able to press on either side and slowly pull it off the shaft. Once that was accomplished, I was able to drive the shaft and opposite bearing out far enough so that the gear and cam came off, and then the shaft and bearing could be removed.

I was wrong that the gear/cam can be inserted through the bearing holes in the carriage. It is too large. For reassembly, the gear/cam must be placed inside the case, and then the shaft put through. Then the bearings are driven on.

Good to hear you got it figured out. I had my carriage apart but not to that extent. Good luck with the project!

Back