What's new
What's new

Electrical device on the back of EE10

Ron Boudreau

Plastic
Can anyone tell me what this device is on the backside of my EE 10. I have pictures but don’t no how to post them with content.

Without photo you may never get an answer. if it looks like this it it's probably a transformer. I havn't investigated it yet. If its a large box there was and option to have all the electronic controls on the back for easier access.

Posting a photo is done by clicking the framed photo box in the options above this box
Typing content is a separat function. I may be misunderstanding your statement.

Place your photo's in a file then use browse and click your photo then click upload file..

20210221_104732.jpg

to post photo click circled icon in photo.Inked20210221_115602_LI.jpg

then click ( From computer). Then click (browse)
Then go to your photo file and click your photo. USE (JPG) format
Then click open at bottom of page to return to (insert image page.
. The file name should then be in the box.
Then click (Upload file(s)). Then wait a minute for it to upload.. Be patient.
. When file is uploaded it will take you back to the posting page.

On my computer if I double click the photo in the posting box it gives an option to make image
(full size)

Sorry about the bad photos and chicken scratch writing.
Inked20210221_115901_LI.jpg

The box below is where it gives the option for full size image by double clicking the photo and choosing from thumbnail too the ( full size) option.

These are photos of my monitor and why they are funcky.
Double photo below was an error

20210221_123132.jpg

Thanks mllud22! Very helpful post.
Then go to your photo file and click your photo. USE (JPG) format
Even though files with a ".JPG" extension and those with a ".JPEG" extension are essentially the same, the forum software treats them differently. If your pictures come from an iPhone or iPad, they probably have a ".JPEG" extension and won't post full size. To fix that, you need to go in with your file manager and change the extension, just like you would change the name of a file.

Cal

Photos of box on back of EE10

Box on back of lathe .jpg
Box on back of lathe .jpgCDCDD587-728C-414B-87CB-C9DAD86263F1.jpg077A021B-C341-44EF-969C-02850FCE073A.jpg60A79BA0-A3E1-4572-83B2-F66A0B70AA0C.jpgBC118E9C-C38B-4690-AF38-24BB9024DBE9.jpg
Device attached on the back of my EE10. Looks like the spindle rotation speed control. I have looked at several photos of EE10's for sale and they don't appear Mohave tis device. The knob on the out side controls the reostate. I moved it off of zero yesterday (about 10 degrees) and was running the carriage when I heard a "pop sound" shut down immediately and a small curl of smoke came up from the inside ( like a Lucas electric problem on an English car). Started up the next day ,with the knob turned to zero and haven't had any problems. Attached are several photos of the inside.

It may be that(a speed controller for the ELSR ( I know the device at the far right hand side near operator, but what does ELSR stand for?). I don't have any control of the spindle speed in reverse. In the picture of the outside of the box the pointer is at about 50%. Over the years that I have owned it the pointer was at 0% ( I'm guessing at the % because there is no scale under the pointer). It was normally used in the mold making shop in our factory. The device looks like apart made by Monarch as it is very similar to the speed control on the front side of EE10.

Yes, that's the rare, rapid reverse option for ELSR (Electric LeadScrew Reverse). It can be used to allow the spindle to turn at a higher speed when backing out after a threading pass. Can you post a photo of the front of the machine?

Cal

Cal, Do you have a picture of the proper knob, pointer and a plate under the knob that I could reproduce? Better yet if there is any originals I would like to purchase it.

Ron [/B]

Ron, maybe you should contact Monarch and ask about it. The only VSR I know about used a small pot, the same as the speed control knob for forward. I am assuming that your machine is a MG not a WIAD? If so, it is the first MG 10EE I have seen that had VSR. Very cool. If you call Monarch, you can also ask them for a copy of the electrical wiring diagram for your machine, they should have that info on file.

Here is a picture that shows the VSR controls used on a WIAD machine:

10ee_elsr_endplate.jpg

The button on the left has some rather involved wiring: it puts the pot on the right into the forward speed control circuit, so you can see what the speed is (the tach does not work in reverse).

This is an excerpt from a circuit diagram that shows how VSR is wired. This may not be how yours is wired if you have an MG machine.

VSR.jpg

Cal, Do you have a picture of the proper knob, pointer and a plate under the knob that I could reproduce? Better yet if there is any originals I would like to purchase it.

Ron [/B]
As I said, this is a very rare option when it comes to motor/generator drive 10EEs; I'm only aware of three or four of them in existance. Here's a link to a thread that discusses the type of rapid/variable speed reverse that you have:
1946 10ee

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a good photo of the dial. I think I have one somewhere; I'll keep digging.

What's the serial number and build date of your machine?

Cal

DATA PLATE.jpg

FRONT EE10 # 37852 .jpg

FRONT.2 EE10 #37852.jpg

i am going to contact monarch to inquire as to the availability of operating instructions for the elsr speed control. Also if they havean original knob and pointer or st least a picture of it.

I HOPE MY POSTS ARE GETTING BETTER.

Last edited:
See if you can get an electrical schematic for your lathe from Monarch. The ELSR reverse speed option was installed at the factory and they'll have the right schematic. All I can find here is the one for the m/g unit with non-variable reverse, a lot simpler.

Ron,

Here are links to more threads/posts that include photos of or mention the variable/rapid reverse unit:
The last one apparently has/had photos on MetalMeet.com which won't display. However, Google image search found this photo from that post:
Peter Miles 20170224_164956 variable rapid reverse.jpg
(link)

So far, none have any kind of dial. I don't find that surprising, since the main speed control doesn't either. In fact, since DC motor machines have two speed ranges (via the back-gear unit), it wouldn't make sense to mark RPMs on a dial.

Cal

To all who responded to my post about unusual box on the back of my EE10. I took the advice to call Monarch and enquire about it. I was connected to the parts dept, the person I talked to was quite helpful and interested in the question, (nice company that supports a product they made 68 years ago) Irecieve an answer back the next morning. Here's the answer;

Ron,
The speed controller on your lathe is not original, when this lathe shipped from us it was a motor-generator unit. I think some aftermarket controller has been added to your lathe that we did not supply.

Terrie Schwaiger
Monarch Lathes, L.P.
Phone: 937-492-4111
Fax: 937-492-7958
New Email: [email protected]
Web: Home | Monarch Lathes

I am going to leave it on the machine and play with it to see if it is a help in threading. I'm thinking that when making a single part it wouldn't make much difference. as a production aid maybe so. We never used the quick reverse in the 25 years I owned the lathe it was set to zero , although I never used it much as it was in our mold making shop the whole time and I stayed out of the professionals hair most of the time.

I am going to make a video on how it is used and try to post it later this month. Thanks to all who have helped me get reacquainted with EE10-37853.

Ron Boudreau
ready to make chips

That's just not correct. The rapid/variable reverse was an option for motor generator drive machines, albeit a rare one, just like ELSR was an option. Monarch drawing EE-3220 shows the wiring for the device and includes the note "ENCLOSURE MOUNTED ON REAR SIDE OF LATHE", underneath the outline of the enclosure. The module itself is Monarch part number EE3376.

Cal

Variable Reverse Speed Control

This is from the 1958 Monarch 10EE brochure, publication 305-2 (2M) 6-58, page 14. (Thanks Russ!):
Brochure1958_p14_ELSR.jpg
Apparently they did have a dial. And now we know the correct name for the option.

Cal

Back