Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To all who responded to my post about unusual box on the back of my EE10. I took the advice to call Monarch and enquire about it. I was connected to the parts dept, the person I talked to was quite helpful and interested in the question, (nice company that supports a product they made 68 years ago) Irecieve an answer back the next morning. Here's the answer;

Ron,
    The speed controller on your lathe is not original, when this lathe shipped from us it was a motor-generator unit. I think some aftermarket controller has been added to your lathe that we did not supply.

Terrie Schwaiger
    Monarch Lathes, L.P.
    Phone: 937-492-4111
    Fax: 937-492-7958
    New Email: [email protected]
    Web: Home | Monarch Lathes

I am going to leave it on the machine and play with it to see if it is a help in threading. I'm thinking that when making a single part it wouldn't make much difference. as a production aid maybe so. We never used the quick reverse in the 25 years I owned the lathe it was set to zero , although I never used it much as it was in our mold making shop the whole time and I stayed out of the professionals hair most of the time.

I am going to make a video on how it is used and try to post it later this month. Thanks to all who have helped me get reacquainted with EE10-37853.

Ron Boudreau
    ready to make chips

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's just not correct. The rapid/variable reverse was an option for motor generator drive machines, albeit a rare one, just like ELSR was an option. Monarch drawing EE-3220 shows the wiring for the device and includes the note "ENCLOSURE MOUNTED ON REAR SIDE OF LATHE", underneath the outline of the enclosure. The module itself is Monarch part number EE3376.

Cal

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why did you post the same thing a second time?

Cal

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Variable Reverse Speed Control

This is from the 1958 Monarch 10EE brochure, publication 305-2 (2M) 6-58, page 14. (Thanks Russ!):
    brochure1958_p14_elsr.jpg

Apparently they did have a dial. And now we know the correct name for the option.

Cal

5. Likes Ron Boudreau liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Cal I will go back to her and bring up the numbers. shall I quote you or leave you out? The device looks and is constructed like something Monarch would make, high quality parts and neat and tidy electrical.
    Ron Boudreau

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please let Terrie know what I found. If she can't provide you with a copy of the wiring diagram, I've got one. If you get the build/order sheet for the machine, please send me a copy.

Cal

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sent her the info and asked for the schematics for the EE10. I will keep the forum posted on my successes or failures. I will be happy to send you a copy of the data.

I sent the post twice because I did an edit and didn't see the post popup. I waited about an hour an still didn't see it so I sent it again. you notifying me was the first I was aware of the two posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Open the panels on the front and ends and take some pictures, show us the drive components. If the original M/G is still there it's very possible that the ELSR and VSR unit will still work or could be made to work. If the drive has been replaced the odds of the VSR working are pretty low.