What's new
What's new

ELSR speeds are reversed

teletech

Aluminum
The speed control for the ELSR controls the spindle speed in forward and the main spindle speed selector governs the reverse speed. Obviously this is not right.

Or rather I think it's the reversing switch that is doing the wrong thing:
Threading selector on head set to rt-hand.
Selector on ELSR set to rt.hand
Spindle control handle pressed down.
results in
spindle reverse while carriage moves toward spindle.

Is the switching of my ELSR reversed or am I doing something very wrong?

Spindle direction sounds backwards from mine. It might be as simple as someone swapping the switches in the ELSR housing under the tailstock.

Indeed, thanks very much for that confirmation.
The PO was trying to work through drive issues and had disconnected several things and then ignored the lathe for a decade or two. I've made a good-faith effort to put things back in the correct order but not being to one to take them apart it tough, made harder by my manual (and tailstock, oops) being from a machine from the same plant just four numbers different in serial number but without ELSR. I do have some ELSR schematics but some labeling is different.
I have verified that everything in the tailstock housing is fine, everything in the reverse speed button/know seems fine also.
I believe the issue is in the DC panel or works drawer at this point.

Last edited:
If you could check me here, I'd appreciate it:
when you press the set-speed button on the ELSR control while the machine is running in forward, it stays in forward but uses the pot setting for reverse. Correct?
What happens if you press the button while the machine is running in spindle-reverse?

Back