What's new
What's new

Factory Rebuilt Round Dial on eBay

Briney Eye

Plastic
Pic of the new badge is fuzzy, but it looks like they did it in 1988. I assume that they added the DRO while they had it.

Well now we know what the flat spot on the upper belt cover is for that Cal discussed in the other round dial thread.

I was a bit surprised to see that Monarch would rebuild a round dial but then realized that 1988 was, egad, over 30 years ago. The 10EE history I have shows the all-solid-state DC drive was introduced in 1984, wonder if an upgrade to that was included in the rebuild.

Be kinda cool to have what is arguably a 1988 Round Dial 10EE.

David

And I see something peculiar about the tailstock... Anyone else notice the diameter of the quill?

This is one of the more interesting round dials I've seen.

And I see something peculiar about the tailstock... Anyone else notice the diameter of the quill?
Good eye!

That's definitely not your typical tailstock. Compare it to square-dial parts sheet 115. The graduated dial is different, as is the overall shape. I may well be one of the rare MT-3 tailstocks, which were optional on square-dials. If so, this is may be the only round-dial in captivity to have one. (Another possible sighting discussed here.)

Here's a link to the eBay auction in question: link

Cal

That lathe is still for sale, looks like a good deal to me. One more thing that is different is that it has the later style dial assembly on the compound. I'm curious whether that means it also has the later style compound, which sits ¼" higher than the original round dial, changing the tool cutting height.

THis machine was basically 9 years old when I bought my EE

If the bed is still good, as one would think it is not being flogged to death during the war it seems like a decent deal, if the noise noted is minor

The tailstock is the later heavier casting with 1 3/4" quill, the dial on the tailsock handwheel is the inch/metric reading style that reads in MM and 1/64". The dial is geared but, the scales are not separately geared like the Monarch crossfeed and compound dials, and it rotates in reverse of handwheel direction, a Monarch gizmo for sure.
During the period the machine was rebuilt, the regenerative drive was standard. This is important to know because that drive is 3phase power only, and will not run on a rotary phase converter.
It might be a good idea to contact Monarch, and pay for the information package regarding this particular lathe, if seriously interested in buying it.

Back