What's new
What's new

Favorite Carbide Insert

Will McRay

Aluminum
What is everyone’s favorite insert to use on their 10EE? Negative or Positive rakes? And for what materials?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not 10ee specific, but i like wnmg inserts for right and left tool holders. They'll do the grand majority on long and cross feed without changing tool position. Different flavor inserts depending what I'm doing.

In sharpe inside corners need a different tool though.

I still like, use, and grind brazed carbide and hss too.

For moving a lot of steel fast I use CNMG neg rake inserts or DNMG for getting into tight spots. I like non coated TPg (positive) for doing nice clean work. Most of the alu I do on the 10EE is with my own grind HSS... Don

I just picked up a CNGP 431 and I have to say I like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the CCMT quite a bit for general purpose steel turning. They make micro sized versions for tiny boring bars which are excellent.
Those are what I normally use. I have a Kennametal LF inserts that Ive found to work well with 303 & 304 stainless.
I’m still experimenting with other inserts.

Don's got it right with CNMG-neg rake. Alum--------1144, ETD150 are my go to basic steels; heavy roughing with 432 insert; sometimes shift to 431 Inserts to get fine finish. I get the same results at 250---400 rpm on big L & S lathe

Back