What's new
What's new

feed belt issue - WIAD, old rear bearing style

bll230

Hot Rolled
I bought a feed belt from Monarch since the folks here have spoken highly of them, so Monarch sends me a belt that is way too short, but Terrie says it is the right belt for my serial number.

Obviously for this belt to work the large pulley on the gearbox would have to be significantly smaller. Anyone have an opinion on what may not be stock here?

Attachments

• IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 97
The Diameter on my large pulley is 7" Mine is a WIAD with a sleeve on the spindle

Last edited:
It looks like you have a sleeve on the spindle held on by the nut at the end of the spindle.
A mod to get faster feed rates maybe.

Mine the belt is on the spindle.
Bill

From looking at pictures all afternoon and talking with some folks, it seems that even though I have an old style rear bearing machine with the rear bearing oil slinger a separate part, my spindle is of the later type layout with the lockring at the rear and the aluminum sleeve between the lockring and the pulley. The shorter belt must be for the older setup of no sleeve and the belt riding on the spindle. I'll send Terrie the serial number of a friends late model machine and see what she comes up with for his machine.

It is odd that my aluminum sleeve is straight and all the drawings of the later model headstocks show the aluminum sleeve as convex. The drawing is of a late model headstock.

Labeeman, can you measure your belt length for me, and is your sleeve straight like mine or convex like the drawing?

Attachments

• New HEADSTOCK_SECTIONS.jpg
    New HEADSTOCK_SECTIONS.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 100
My belt is 38" and the sleeve is convex. I also do not use the Monarch belt but a microV type belt purchased at an auto parts store.

Back