What's new
What's new

Feed pulley question, 10EE Square dial

bll230

Hot Rolled
Hadn't really paid attention before, but my feed pulley has two ridges so-to-speak. Did Monarch put crowning on the pulley or is this evidence a previous owner used a V belt at some point and it wore the pulley unevenly?

CDB0F2EC-A424-47ED-9A27-AA178BD1AFB9.jpg

My 59 WIAD is flat across with retaining ledges on each side, no raised center ridge like that, I don't remember if it also had a slight crown or not. I can look tonight. UPDATE: Memory is a fickle thing, and I guess I don't really look in there that often. I looked at mine and it is a smooth crowned wheel , no retaining edges . There is a small tension wheel directly above it that has the retaining edges. Probably what I was remembering.

That should be a very slightly crowned wheel. To me yours looks like someone didn't have a flat belt and thought that a couple of V belts run inside out would work. It does for a short while but needs to be replaced with the proper belt as soon as practical.

The tension idlers for the main drive on a 2 belt drive system should have no crown at all and do tend to wear grooves where contacting the belts. It's really more a cosmetic thing but if one side is getting a lot more wear than the other you might want to turn the idler flat so the tension on both belts is the same.

RKepler, Thanks, I'll work on putting on a crown. I'll set the taper attachment to 1 degree and do both sides. I also need to crown the aluminum sleeve on my spindle since it is a cylindrical piece that is not stock. Relative to the idlers, I already took care of those as detailed here:

Noise reduction efforts - 10EE

Good advice about double crowning. I will think about that for a while. When I actually get to doing the work, my thought now is to clean up the gearbox pulley flat, and only crown the aluminum sleeve on the spindle.

Back