Filtering for smoother running on thyratron controlled 10EE - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Donie,

Been there, done that. When I got the Modular I referred to running, the owner wanted to rip out all that obsolete junk and change to an AC system. I effectively refused to do it, a weird position for someone who has only met the owner once before and is telling him how to run his business. He finally allowed me to preserve the existing drive if I put a price cap on the project. I did, and it has been making money for the 10+ years since. The fellow is a very good machinist but with a shop full of them he has to keep busy, he rarely actually runs a machine. Giving him a rundown on the things I did in the latest tuneup, I went over the reversing cycle. The system

Disconnects the armature from the forward contactor

connects it to the resistors

switches the field to full voltage

monitors the voltage output of the motor that is now a generator

When the voltage is low enough, indicating low speed on the motor, disconnects it from the resistor

Closes the reverse contactor

Applies full field voltage until it gets near the set speed and switches to the field voltage for that speed

All the operator needs to do is throw a lever over.

I am reminded of the comment by one of the Grand Prix drivers in the 50s.

"Remember that the man who designed your engine wanted it to go as much as you do and he had better facilities and may actually have known almost as much about engines as you do."

The people who designed the 10EE system didn't do it over lunch sketching on a napkin.

2. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    The inevitable 884 tube. I'll bet you used a milsurp 5BP1 CRT.
    Actually it was 3BP1, also from the brother with the ARRL Handbook. Not sure where he got it, I think it was in a trunk of really neat stuff he brought back from a summer he spent with our uncle, NY7S, and interning in a TV repair shop. He built a vacuum tube tesla coil using an 845 triode for another school project. It was awesome. As you say kids now can't do anything like that, at least most can't.

4. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, there should be a better way. I have been exporting Autocad as a WMF file, about my only option, and converting them to JPEGs with Corel 9. Corel doesn't like WMFs one bit and does all sorts of funny things to them.

Bill

In a windows environment the easy peasy thing to do is to use the native snipping tool then save it as a jpeg or possibly paste it right into the thing you are working on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RustySparks View Post
    Actually it was 3BP1, also from the brother with the ARRL Handbook. Not sure where he got it, I think it was in a trunk of really neat stuff he brought back from a summer he spent with our uncle, NY7S, and interning in a TV repair shop. He built a vacuum tube tesla coil using an 845 triode for another school project. It was awesome. As you say kids now can't do anything like that, at least most can't.
    Now I have to tell this story:

A brilliant engineer friend of mine, an MIT graduate, as a kid built a Tesla coil in his basement bedroom. Its height was limited by the ceiling above, which it reached. It worked well -- once -- as his horrified parents discovered when lightning bolts shot out of the living room floor above!

7. Likes RustySparks, Jim McIntyre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Wo View Post
    Now I have to tell this story:

A brilliant engineer friend of mine, an MIT graduate, as a kid built a Tesla coil in his basement bedroom. Its height was limited by the ceiling above, which it reached. It worked well -- once -- as his horrified parents discovered when lightning bolts shot out of the living room floor above!
    My experience like that was worse. A neighbor who owned a dental supply business gave me an X-ray transformer. Naturally, I had to see how long a spark it could make. I mounted a couple of wires on the terminals and plugged it in. I got some corona but no real arc. Unplugged it, bent the wires a little closer, a little more corona. After several iterations with the corona increasing, I got a momentary fat yellow arc before the lights went out. Problem was that my dentist father had his operating room above me and on the same circuit. He was drilling on a lady's tooth at the time. You can imagine the next few minutes.

Events like this seem to be a rite of passage for kids who grow up to be inventors. Thomas Edison had a few.

Bill

9. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, there should be a better way. I have been exporting Autocad as a WMF file, about my only option, and converting them to JPEGs with Corel 9. Corel doesn't like WMFs one bit and does all sorts of funny things to them.

Bill
    Bill,

The free version of Draftsight, from Dassault Systems (the Solidworks and Catia people), is an AutoCAD clone. It runs just like AutoCAD, right down to the command line interface, and will read/write your AutoCAD files. It can export a drawings as a PDF and in a variety of bitmap formats, including .JPG (which is the best choice for PM).

Cal

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently had a lopey, contactor clacking unsteady spindle movement on my 1961 modular 10ee at speeds below 800 rpm. I looked through the archives and found that the two rec3 diodes could be the culprit. I pulled the module and used the diode function on my multimeter to test both of these. They showed a voltage drop of 0.538 and 0.556 Volts on the test which, according to my manual shows a good silicon junction.
    I replaced the two Rec3 diodes anyway, with 1N 1084 diodes (tested out 0.594 Volts).
    No more loping! No more contactor clacking! Smooth operation at low rpms. I was quite happy about this.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 2 diodes in rec 3 can get hot in use, after a period of time they degrade in function. The indication of that is noticeable speed issues. But, when the diodes are cold, they may test good, I just replace all the diodes when I need to service the switches, or have to replace the field tube, or have speed problems.

13. Likes rakort liked this post