What's new
What's new

Fixed steady clamp/drawings required

Peter.

Titanium
I scored a 10EE fixed steady on UK eBay but it's missing the clamp mechanism. I'm looking to buy or make a clamp for this when it arrives, can anyone help me out with photos/dimensions/drawings or even the spare parts themselves?

ENGINEERS LATHE 3 POINT FIXED STEADY | eBay

BTW it looks like the seller has a 10EE travelling rest that fixes to the cross-slide top dovetail. My round dial doesn't have that dovetail so it's no use to me. Might be a Monarch part who knows?

ENGINEERS LATHE 2 POINT TRAVELLING STEADY | eBay

I scored a 10EE fixed steady on UK eBay but it's missing the clamp mechanism. I'm looking to buy or make a clamp for this when it arrives, can anyone help me out with photos/dimensions/drawings or even the spare parts themselves?

ENGINEERS LATHE 3 POINT FIXED STEADY | eBay

BTW it looks like the seller has a 10EE travelling rest that fixes to the cross-slide top dovetail. My round dial doesn't have that dovetail so it's no use to me. Might be a Monarch part who knows?

ENGINEERS LATHE 2 POINT TRAVELLING STEADY | eBay
Hi Peter,

I have 27 of pictures of mine, from various angles. Here are the critical ones:
IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2581 ''EE15491''.jpg

Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the rest, if you like.

Cal

Thanks Cal, I've sent the photo to the seller just in case he has the bits without realising it. If that fails then your photos should give me enough to make my own.

After a bit of a look around the net it doesn't seem likely that the other part is a Monarch follow rest, I can't find any evidence of anything similar in searches. The top of it is exactly like a Seneca Falls rest except the photos of that are all conventional bolt-up mounts not a dovetail like the one for sale.

Thanks Cal, I've sent the photo to the seller just in case he has the bits without realising it. If that fails then your photos should give me enough to make my own. ...
Unfortunately, the eye-bolt and the eccentric rod are missing from your steady. Those will be the most difficult parts to make.

Cal

Unfortunately, the eye-bolt and the eccentric rod are missing from your steady. Those will be the most difficult parts to make.

Cal

Yeah it's a shame they are missing. I can make those parts no problem, but it would be easier if I had the factory prints or dimensions to work from. Either way it's not too taxing a job.

I would be nice to know what the throw of the eccentric is. Everything else is pretty straight forward. Unfortunately, I didn't measure it when I had mine apart and I don't have time at present to pull it apart again right now. Anyone who has their steady rest handle could probably measure the distance the clamp moves when the clamp bolt is rotated and give you a good idea what to use.

Please post some photos, etc., if you make your own clamp.

Cal

I will do that. My steady landed today and it's in reasonable condition. The brass fingers are worn so they'll need new tips and the three screws need removing and straightening a little, or re-making.

If no-one can furnish me with the correct figure I think I'm going to make it 40 thou offset for 80 thou of throw.

I will do that. My steady landed today and it's in reasonable condition. The brass fingers are worn so they'll need new tips and the three screws need removing and straightening a little, or re-making.

If no-one can furnish me with the correct figure I think I'm going to make it 40 thou offset for 80 thou of throw.

That would work. I just took mine apart and the total throw is .096 or thereabouts (mounted the eccentric in my lathe in a collet chuck). For reference the eccentric part is 7/8", the ends are 3/4.

Thanks Russ.

I made a start on the eccentric today. Got it turned out of some 300-series stainless bar I just need to put the flats on the end now. Not sure whether to go for 2 flats or a full hex head, or drill it for a small lever.

The dims on the eccentric are: ends 3/4" diameter 7/8" long, eccentric 7/8" diameter 3/4" long with .095" throw. I've left about 5/16" on the end for the flats.

Attachments

• steadyclamp5.jpg
    steadyclamp5.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 66
  • steadyclamp4.jpg
    steadyclamp4.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 48
  • steadyclamp3.jpg
    steadyclamp3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 66
  • steadyclamp2.jpg
    steadyclamp2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 50
  • steadyclamp1.jpg
    steadyclamp1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 70
I made a start on the eccentric today. Got it turned out of some 300-series stainless bar I just need to put the flats on the end now. Not sure whether to go for 2 flats or a full hex head, or drill it for a small lever.

Put the hex on there, it's 9/16 like so much else on the 10EE so you'll always have the tool to tighten it around.

I put a 9/16" square on it in the end. The eccentric made it a trial to fit in my indexer for milling 6 sides so I clamped it in a vee block and went round 4 sides instead.

I made the new cast iron bush from a chunk of old sash weight. I roughed the OD with it supported on a centre leaving 15 thou to finish, drilled and reamed for the 3/4" bore then turned the OD. Couldn't part it off at that great overhang so I cut it off with a hacksaw and faced it to length.

Attachments

• steadyclamp6.jpg
    steadyclamp6.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 59
  • steadyclamp7.jpg
    steadyclamp7.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 70

Back