Fixed steady clamp/drawings required
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fixed steady clamp/drawings required

I scored a 10EE fixed steady on UK eBay but it's missing the clamp mechanism. I'm looking to buy or make a clamp for this when it arrives, can anyone help me out with photos/dimensions/drawings or even the spare parts themselves?

ENGINEERS LATHE 3 POINT FIXED STEADY | eBay

BTW it looks like the seller has a 10EE travelling rest that fixes to the cross-slide top dovetail. My round dial doesn't have that dovetail so it's no use to me. Might be a Monarch part who knows?

ENGINEERS LATHE 2 POINT TRAVELLING STEADY | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    I scored a 10EE fixed steady on UK eBay but it's missing the clamp mechanism. I'm looking to buy or make a clamp for this when it arrives, can anyone help me out with photos/dimensions/drawings or even the spare parts themselves?

ENGINEERS LATHE 3 POINT FIXED STEADY | eBay

BTW it looks like the seller has a 10EE travelling rest that fixes to the cross-slide top dovetail. My round dial doesn't have that dovetail so it's no use to me. Might be a Monarch part who knows?

Hi Peter,

I have 27 of pictures of mine, from various angles. Here are the critical ones:
    img_2590.jpg

img_2581-ee15491.jpg

Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the rest, if you like.

Cal

3. Likes Peter. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Cal, I've sent the photo to the seller just in case he has the bits without realising it. If that fails then your photos should give me enough to make my own.

After a bit of a look around the net it doesn't seem likely that the other part is a Monarch follow rest, I can't find any evidence of anything similar in searches. The top of it is exactly like a Seneca Falls rest except the photos of that are all conventional bolt-up mounts not a dovetail like the one for sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's not a Monarch part. For reference here's a thread that pictures all of the 10EE follow rests known:

How many 3 point follow rests were maed for monarch 10ee's?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Cal, I've sent the photo to the seller just in case he has the bits without realising it. If that fails then your photos should give me enough to make my own. ...
    Unfortunately, the eye-bolt and the eccentric rod are missing from your steady. Those will be the most difficult parts to make.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    Unfortunately, the eye-bolt and the eccentric rod are missing from your steady. Those will be the most difficult parts to make.

Cal
    Yeah it's a shame they are missing. I can make those parts no problem, but it would be easier if I had the factory prints or dimensions to work from. Either way it's not too taxing a job.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would be nice to know what the throw of the eccentric is. Everything else is pretty straight forward. Unfortunately, I didn't measure it when I had mine apart and I don't have time at present to pull it apart again right now. Anyone who has their steady rest handle could probably measure the distance the clamp moves when the clamp bolt is rotated and give you a good idea what to use.

Please post some photos, etc., if you make your own clamp.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will do that. My steady landed today and it's in reasonable condition. The brass fingers are worn so they'll need new tips and the three screws need removing and straightening a little, or re-making.

If no-one can furnish me with the correct figure I think I'm going to make it 40 thou offset for 80 thou of throw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will do that. My steady landed today and it's in reasonable condition. The brass fingers are worn so they'll need new tips and the three screws need removing and straightening a little, or re-making.

If no-one can furnish me with the correct figure I think I'm going to make it 40 thou offset for 80 thou of throw.

That would work. I just took mine apart and the total throw is .096 or thereabouts (mounted the eccentric in my lathe in a collet chuck). For reference the eccentric part is 7/8", the ends are 3/4.

11. Likes Cal Haines, Peter. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Russ.

I made a start on the eccentric today. Got it turned out of some 300-series stainless bar I just need to put the flats on the end now. Not sure whether to go for 2 flats or a full hex head, or drill it for a small lever.

The dims on the eccentric are: ends 3/4" diameter 7/8" long, eccentric 7/8" diameter 3/4" long with .095" throw. I've left about 5/16" on the end for the flats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steadyclamp1.jpg   steadyclamp2.jpg   steadyclamp3.jpg   steadyclamp4.jpg   steadyclamp5.jpg  

13. Likes labeeman, Cal Haines liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine has a hex on one end:
    img_2578.jpg

The other end is slightly rounded. There are centers in both ends.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made a start on the eccentric today. Got it turned out of some 300-series stainless bar I just need to put the flats on the end now. Not sure whether to go for 2 flats or a full hex head, or drill it for a small lever.
    Put the hex on there, it's 9/16 like so much else on the 10EE so you'll always have the tool to tighten it around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I put a 9/16" square on it in the end. The eccentric made it a trial to fit in my indexer for milling 6 sides so I clamped it in a vee block and went round 4 sides instead.

I made the new cast iron bush from a chunk of old sash weight. I roughed the OD with it supported on a centre leaving 15 thou to finish, drilled and reamed for the 3/4" bore then turned the OD. Couldn't part it off at that great overhang so I cut it off with a hacksaw and faced it to length.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steadyclamp6.jpg   steadyclamp7.jpg