What's new
What's new

flat belt drive

onemoreday

Plastic
I have a 1942 vintage 10ee. The main dive belt is a flat belt and is showing it's age. I have searched this forum and found reference to using serpantine belts. I have not been able to find the correct length-87 inches. I had a quote from monarch- $480 a number of years ago.

I know people have used serpentine belts for the feed-belt, but I don't recall them being used for the main drive belt. If your machine is like my flat-belt machine, I'm not sure one would work. My motor pulley has a slight crown to help center the belt, but a serpentine belt is much narrower than the 2" (ish) belt that pulley is designed for. I would think the belt would walk off the side.

I don't know much about serpentine belts, but a B87 belt has an OD of 90"; I'm guessing the 87 part has to do with the inner or maybe pitch diameter of the belt. They're available in 1" increments. McMaster-Carr carries B87 and B85 belts: link. B86 belts are available elsewhere.

McMaster also had made-to-length belts as well as belting stock and the "alligator belt lacing" for joining the belt ends: link

Have you checked online or in the yellow pages for drive belt and chain vendors? They can make you one to order.

Cal

The concern I would have about using a poly-v/ automotive style belt for the main spindle belt is that they seem to run *extremely tight* at least in auto accessory drive applications. Much tighter than classic "B" section V-belts, and the cantilevered/overhung load could have a detrimental effect that you might not realize until you're already into it. The upside is there would seem to be plenty of "wrap" on the sheaves.

If you are talking the spindle to feed-box flat belt that's a little different animal. I ordered some of the thin feed-box belts a few years back, don't think I paid that for it, could not tell you where they came from now...

I went to the farm store, got the thinnest baler belting...........skived the ends so that the wire clips were flush with the driving surface, runs very quiet and should handle the power easily

Back